Yesterday: Upgrade All the Things! Today: What Have I Done?

tl;dr: I can build and run iOS, but not Android

I recently upgraded Cordova to to version 4.3

This gave me some iOS headaches, so I tried to update xcode. Of course, this meant that I had to stop putting off my upgrade to Yosemite.

So for good measure, I upgraded my CLI and am now using Ionic v1.0.0-rc.5.

after all of these installs, I run ionic build android and it yields

running cordova build android
Running command: /project/hooks/after_prepare/010_add_platform_class.js /project
add to body class: platform-android
Running command: /project/platforms/android/cordova/build

events.js:72
throw er; // Unhandled ‘error’ event
^
Error: spawn EACCES
at errnoException (child_process.js:998:11)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:789:34)
ERROR building one of the platforms: Error: /project/platforms/android/cordova/build: Command failed with exit code 8
You may not have the required environment or OS to build this project
Error: /project/platforms/android/cordova/build: Command failed with exit code 8
at ChildProcess.whenDone (/usr/local/share/npm/lib/node_modules/cordova/node_modules/cordova-lib/src/cordova/superspawn.js:131:23)
at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:98:17)
at maybeClose (child_process.js:753:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:820:5)

I don't expect anyone to be able to recreate since it is clearly a machine-specific thing, but any/all suggestions are very much appreciated.

that EACCES suggests that it is a file permission issue, but I get no results when I run find . ! -user pmn

additionally, sudo ionic build android gives the same result

I’ve had this error before, I think this is what fixed it:

chmod 755 hooks/after_prepare/*

thanks for the response @ashteya. Unfortunately for me, that’s not it. You can see in the console output that I get past the hooks but fail somewhere in the build command.

I opened the build file and added a bunch of console.log statements to see if I could debug it, but I’m a little lost in the node world and had no luck.

I think the permissions issue might be on build command instead.

From your ionic project directory try:

chmod 755 platforms/android/cordova/build

thank you for the suggestion @bmwilson74, but the file is already 755, and I am confident that it is running because I edited the script by putting in a bunch of console.log statements which did print to the stdout. super frustrating.

I know this is outside the scope of ionic at this point, but if anyone has any suggestions, I am all-ears.

as an aside, I saw that ionic cli had an update today. I execute the npm statement to update it, but it errored-out, so I sudo ran it, and it succeeded. does that give any clues?

Maybe try removing the platform, then running the following

ionic hooks add
ionic platform add android

It may be related to this issue

I know you aren’t trying to add it, but it’s worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I finally got things working by sudo uninstalling cordova, and then non-sudo installing it again. It took several tries to install (npm issues, I guess), and I had to upgrade my android sdk, but android is building once again