Why does this $scope.$watch not work?

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong? I need to get the new selected value into the controller.

Thanks.

There are two problems with this. First, watching primitive values doesn’t really work because when you change the value of a primitive you get a new reference. To get around this, you have to wrap your primitive in an object and watch the object like this:

$scope.model = {myNumber: 3};

$scope.$watch("model.myNumber", function(newValue, oldValue){
    $scope.update = newValue;
  });

and then your html would look like this:

<select ng-model="model.myNumber" ng-options="number.key as number.value for number in numbers" ng-change="valueChanged()">
    </select>

The other problem with your codepen is your watch had the new and old values switched. The new value is the first parameter.

I could not understand why people were using objects when a primitive would seem to work just fine. But I see why now.

I am now getting the updated value in the controller but for some reason my select does not populate with the starting value. I just have to keep hacking on it.

I’d not come across valueChanged() in anything I was reading. It seems like one of those “magical” settings you just need experience to know about.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

The valueChanged() is not magical, it just doesn’t exist in your context. ng-change gets called when the user changes the value of the select. It’s generally preferred over doing watches because watches run every digest cycle where the ng-change is just a callback function. You can get rid of your $watch and do this:

$scope.valueChanged = function(){
    $scope.update = $scope.model.myNumber;
}