White screen of death on iOS but works on Android and web

Hi

What’s the best way to debug when my app works without an error on web and Android but gives me white screen of death on iOS (and no useful info when I run the app using ionic run ios -l -c). I’ve tried disabling and removing all plugins but nothing I’ve tried has shed any light on this.

Any suggestions?

I always have to do the first compile in XCode to get my apps actually working, might give that shot.

I’ve tried to compile both using XCode as well as ionic run, both give me white screen :sweat:

and the plot thickens. I decided to test this app on iOS 10 (beta 7) and then I can build it and it opens up just fine, but not on my other device running iOS 9.x. I’m just so lost, hope someone can shed a light on what I’m doing wrong.

Are you using IndexedDB of some sort? You’re probably using a technique which isn’t supported on ios9. You could check it by using the safari debugger.

WKWebView plugin might solve it

Thanks for the suggestion. I do however think I’ve figured it out and it was such a stupid error. I’ll have to verify it when I get home tonight but out of pure coincidence I opened the app in Safari (usually I have chrome running) and then I saw a JS error which Chrome didn’t flag. Safari showed me a white screen but as soon as I fixed that error Safari ran the damn thing. So crossing my fingers that this might have solved it. WIll write up a better answer tonight if this is the case. Oh, and I had tried WKWebView but that did not work either.

So, I can confirm now that the cause of the white screen of death was iOS 9 did not like when I set a default parameter value for a function. So this is not acceptable:

functionName: function(parameter = false) {…}

But I’m glad I stumbled upon the error :slight_smile:

Ah, they can’t handle it. In ionic2 this wouldnt be a problem since its transpiled.

@UrbanMania, just for the record, I had the WSOD problem when I migrated from UIWebView to WKWebView. I could only resolve it executing these instructions step-by-step.

When i return on webview after I playing a video with cordova jwplayer plugin, I have the blank white screen, but the html is there but not displayed.
Cordova jwplayer plugin is another app and when I return on my ionic app, I have get the White Screen Of Death.

i have same problem in iPhones only am getting white screen on back button navigation tried with $timeout it did not help . Here is my environment on iOS.

I am using ionic v1

cli packages:

@ionic/cli-utils  : 1.8.1
ionic (Ionic CLI) : 3.8.1

global packages:

Cordova CLI : 7.0.1 

local packages:

Cordova Platforms : ios 4.4.0
Ionic Framework   : unknown

System:

ios-deploy : 1.9.1 
ios-sim    : 5.0.8 
Node       : v6.10.3
npm        : 3.10.10 
OS         : macOS Sierra
Xcode      : Xcode 8.3.2 Build version 8E2002

am unable to see any white screen on android.

can someone give me solutions on it, i have tried most of the solutions none have worked.

Have you tried on your computer to open the app in Safari browser? That helped me figure out what my problem was on iOS, worth a try at least.

yea i tried on safari too, whenever white screen comes , there is no exception.

Hum, not sure what to do then. Have you tried this plugin? https://github.com/ionic-team/cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine

am getting this issue Error: [$rootScope:inprog] http://errors.angularjs.org/1.2.7/$rootScope/inprog?p0=%24digest

I remember getting this at some point, can’t for the life of me remember what caused it. Make sure you look for responses from other services that might be a promise that has not returned when you are trying to use the response. I had some errors like that at some point.

Yaa , you are correct am looking into those responses. Got problem with google map promise issue with multiple loading of map.

Me too, i have the same error

nope, just a vanilla straight from the store iPhone