Which is the difference between imports and providers in app.module?

Hi,
I’ve seen that in many tutorials that there is a different use of the imports and of the providers section of the file app.module.ts.

@NgModule({
  declarations: [AppComponent],
  entryComponents: [],
  imports: [
    BrowserModule,
    IonicStorageModule.forRoot(),
	],
  providers: [
    StatusBar,
    SplashScreen,
  ],
  bootstrap: [AppComponent]
})
export class AppModule {}

What should go in the import section and what should go in the providers section?
When I create a new service provider should I put in the providers section?

Because when I create a service provider I’m not putting them in the providers section but I’m importing them in each page:

constructor(
        private translate: TranslateService,
        private settingsManager: SettingsmanagerService,
       private wsManager: WsmanagerService,**
    ) {

Excuse me for these questions, but I didn’t find a good theoric explanation of these concepts in the Ionic documentation.

Thank you very much

Claudio

1 Like

As you said a Provider needs to be defined in the provider Section :smiley: Otherwise you will get an Error when you try to create it in the constructor. In the Imports you can import other Modules.

Tipp: Since a Angular Version (i don’t know exactly which one), you can provide your Services automatically with:

@Injectable({
  providedIn: 'root'
})
export class SomeService {}
1 Like

Hi,
however, if I don’t put my Provider in the providers section I can use the provider in this way:

import { WsmanagerService } from 'src/app/services/wsmanager.service';

export class ItemDetailPage implements OnInit {

constructor(
        private translate: TranslateService,
        private settingsManager: SettingsmanagerService,
       private wsManager: WsmanagerService,**
    ) {}

}

So what changes if I put it in the providers section?

cld

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. While this seems convenient at first, it has a (for me, anyway) showstopper downside. Ordinary services can be easily mocked out by:

providers: [
  {provide: SomeService, useClass: SomeMock}
]

This becomes impossible when you use providedIn.

Follow the documentation for whatever library you’re using. If what you are doing here works, it’s likely that you are importing a module that indirectly provides WsmanagerService.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m not talking about 3rd party libraries, but just providers done by me to implement some logic that I use in many pages of the app.
So I’ve seen that you can just import a Provider on each page in which it is used without importing it in the app.module.ts page.

Which is the problem?
I have the doubt that this is not the right way to use and to import a Provider.

So I’m trying to understand this, if I have a Provider that is used in only one page of the app and a provider that is used in all the pages of the app should they by imported in different ways?

cld

I don’t think that’s true, but you can import a provider on each page in which it’s used in addition to declaring it in the imports of your app module.

No.

The reason providers exist on a Component declaration is to scope them to that component, which you almost never want to do. Ordinarily, when page A and page B both inject a provider, they get the same object. That’s generally a super-important desired feature. When page A and page B put the provider in their own Component declaration, they each get a separate instance of the same class. I’m having a hard time thinking of a use case where one would actually want that.