Tutorial Chapter 6

I am doing tutorial chapter 6 publishing your app, and type this to jnode consol
keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
When prompt to input password, keyboard can not type anything and blank, so I cannot go through my app, anyone faced this problem?

Thats a normal terminal thing. When typing a password in a terminal, they wont display anything for security reasons. But typing your normal password and pressing enter will still work.

Hi @mhartington : when I typing keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000, is this to create password or it has asking for my password? at this stage I have note created any password yet.

Just went through the process to verify each step.

So the first time is asks for a password, it’s asking to create a password for the keystore file.
The second password prompt is to confirm that password.

$ keytool -genkey -v -keystore mhartington.keystore -alias mhartington -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
Enter keystore password:
Re-enter new password:
What is your first and last name?
  [Unknown]:  Mike Hartington
What is the name of your organizational unit?
  [Unknown]:  Ionic
What is the name of your organization?
  [Unknown]:  Ionic
What is the name of your City or Locality?
  [Unknown]:  USA
What is the name of your State or Province?
  [Unknown]:  USA
What is the two-letter country code for this unit?
  [Unknown]:  US
Is CN=Mike Hartington, OU=Ionic, O=Ionic, L=USA, ST=USA, C=US correct?
  [no]:  yes

Generating 2,048 bit RSA key pair and self-signed certificate (SHA1withRSA) with a validity of 10,000 days
        for: CN=Mike Hartington, OU=Ionic, O=Ionic, L=USA, ST=USA, C=US
Enter key password for <mhartington>
        (RETURN if same as keystore password):
[Storing mhartington.keystore]

So then after a few things to verify who you are as a developer, it will ask you what your computers password is to create the keystore file.

Hope this clears things up

@mhartington ok from then when I type igner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore my-release-key.keystore HelloWorld-release-unsigned.apk alias_name, I have been askied for “enter passphrase for keystore” what is this? I enter my keypassword password, doesnt work? unable to open jar file: zhuanfalun-release-unsigned.apk… ??

You may want to check out this video that @nicraboy did about signing android apps.

3 Likes

Thanks for the referral @mhartington!

Here is a write-up to that video:

If you guys need further help, let me know :smile:

thanks @mhartington I will go there straight up then

If you want to avoid entering the password during the build, you can add the “password” properties to the ant.properties file:

key.store=my.keystore
key.alias=myalias
key.store.password=mypassword
key.alias.password=mypassword

Of course, don’t do this if you are worried about exposing your password in a text file.

1 Like