Tsconfig.json modifications not working

I started an ionic 2 project and one of the few things I don’t like is the relative paths. I read some documentation from typescript and I modified the tsconfig.json file, and seems like the modifications I do are not taking any effect in the ionic app (but are working in typescript).

I learned how typescript works from the documentation: http://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/module-resolution.html

I validated that my changes to tsconfig.json are correct since calling “tsc --traceResolution” tells me the resolution is working. But once I launch the ionic app I get the “Cannot find module” error.

Example

In case anyone is interested in reproducing the issue, create a brand new ionic 2 project, modify tsconfig.json by adding the following to compilerOptions:

"baseUrl": "./src",

Then create the file src/foo.ts with the contents:

export class Foo {}

finally add the following to app.module.ts:

import { Foo } from 'foo';
new Foo();

As far as I understand that should work, it doesn’t and for it to work it is necessary to have the following (which I want to avoid):

import { Foo } from '../foo';
new Foo();

Alias paths in tsconfig.json and webpack not working

tsconfig.js

{
  "compilerOptions": {
    "baseUrl": "./src",
    "paths": {
      "app/*": [
        "app/*"
      ]
    }
  },
}

packake.json

{
  "config": {
    "ionic_webpack": "./config/webpack.config.js"
  }
}

Copy webpack.config.js from node_modules/@ionic/app-scripts/config/webpack.config.js to config/webpack.config.js and add resolve.alias for app

resolve: {
    extensions: ['.ts', '.js', '.json'],
    modules: [path.resolve('node_modules')],
    alias: { app: path.resolve('src/app') },
  },

I tried exactly that and it doesn’t work. Have you tried? Could you explain why it should work? (maybe some link to any documentation).

Hi. Here is the link to the webpack Webpack configuration - resolve alias. You have to add the app to the webpack config. It is working to me

Example from my code where I am calling service from ‘app/service’

import { Component, OnInit } from '@angular/core';
import { NavController, NavParams, Events } from 'ionic-angular';

import { Shop, Rating } from 'app/services';
import { ShopRatingDetailPage } from  './rating-detail';

@Component({
    selector: 'page-shop-rating',
    templateUrl: 'rating.html'
})
export class ShopRatingPage implements OnInit {

Here is one more think which I forgotten

ionic --version

Incase someone is having similar trouble to figure what exact changes you need to make get this working. I have posted my answers for this problem here :

This has also been solved in the github issue: https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic-cli/issues/1809