Social Sharing plugin on iOS 10 not working

I’m trying to get the ionic 2 native Social Sharing plugin to work on iOS 10. I’ve created a very basic test app to verify. It works great on Android. But not on iOS 10. Per the documentation at https://ionicframework.com/docs/v2/native/social-sharing/ the plugin is installed but when I use this code:

constructor(public navCtrl: NavController) {

SocialSharing.canShareViaEmail().then(() => {
		this.shareEmail = 'active';
	}, (error) => {
		this.shareEmail = "email error: " + JSON.stringify(error);
	});	

}

…and then display this.shareEmail it throws this error:

email error: "plugin_not_installed"

But of course the plugin IS installed.

I am on Windows and so am building using Ionic Package.

Thoughts on why the plugin is not being recognized?

It shows up in both package.json and config.xml.

and is it in your plugins folder? I would also remove the ios platform and re-add it to your project.

Yes it shows up in the plugins folder. Also in config.xml and package.json.

I am on Windows (using $ ionic package build ios - to build), thus cannot add/remove ios platform.

So I have gone and purchased a new Mac. (So much for $ ionic package…)

Unfortunately still having the same problem. Looking at some of the documentation on the cited repo at https://github.com/EddyVerbruggen/SocialSharing-PhoneGap-Plugin - I’ve tried taking the additional manual steps:

Added the following to config.xml (which was NOT there previously from using the CLI to add the plugin):

<!-- for iOS -->
<feature name="SocialSharing">
    <param name="ios-package" value="SocialSharing" />
</feature>

Then in xcode… Went into Build Phases, Link Binary With Libraries, and then marked both Social.framework and MessageUI.framework as required instead of optional.

Then I added the following to my index.html file:

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/SocialSharing.js"></script>

(again, this wasn’t there from CLI installation of the plugin… not sure if it is in fact needed or not?)

Rebuilt the project. Run via xcode on to local device… Still get the same error “plugin_not_installed”.

Does anyone have this plugin working?

I am having exactly the same problem on ios. It use to work, but now (no idea what may have changed), it does not.

It works find on Android.

The plugin is present in the package in the apa. Weird for me is that it DOES work if I build using ionic package (and not our own build)

Comparing the two packages.

The one that works (from ionic deploy), has the following in the file corvova_plugins.js

{
        "id": "cordova-plugin-x-socialsharing.SocialSharing",
        "file": "plugins/cordova-plugin-x-socialsharing/www/SocialSharing.js",
        "pluginId": "cordova-plugin-x-socialsharing",
        "clobbers": [
            "window.plugins.socialsharing"
        ]
   },

In my build (from my mac) this is missing - may be related (still investigating)…

Hello WWWGuy,

I have the same trouble !
Did you find the solution ?
Thanks in advance.
Jonathan.

No never found a solution… had to just add logic to detect OS and eliminate the functionality from iOS… which kind of defeats the whole purpose of using Ionic to begin with. A shame…

Hello,
Just to inform you I decded to rent a Mac OS (macincloud.com) to build app using local XCode and the plugin social sharing works now on iOS.
As peterjc explained previously, the Ionic Package service don’t include many cordova plugins (social-sharing, network-info)

Hope this can help you.
Jonathan.

so that means it is working on ios right?

Yes, it works if you build the App from an MacOS.

1 Like

thx CAPIT. but only facebook seem not to work…cannot post any title , message, image, or url. it is blank when facebook loads upon clicking facebook share

i have the same problem…!

Did you addd those meta tags to your header

<meta property="fb:app_id" content=“your facebook app id" />
    <meta property="og:locale" content="tr_TR">
    <meta property="og:type" content="article">
    <meta property="og:title" content=“your sharing title">
    <meta property="og:description" content=“your sharing description">
    <meta property="og:url" content=“your whole link">
    <meta property="og:site_name" content=“your title">  
    <meta property="og:image" content=“ shared image url path”>

if you did not, you should add these meta tags then yoru can share content on facebook truly