}
}

home.html
<ion-content padding class="content">
<ion-row >
        <ion-col width-100>
          <ion-item style="background:none" no-lines>
            <ion-select   class="select" >
                <ion-option value="" selected="true">{{labelSelectBox}}</ion-option>
            </ion-select>
          </ion-item>
        </ion-col>
      </ion-row>
</ion-content>

Result:

Case 2 :

home.html
<ion-content padding class="content">
<ion-row >
        <ion-col width-100>
          <ion-item style="background:none" no-lines>
            <ion-select   class="select" >
                <ion-option value="" selected="true">Select item</ion-option>
            </ion-select>
          </ion-item>
        </ion-col>
      </ion-row>
</ion-content>

Result :

Questions :

Why this difference ?

Similar problem here, but even less difference between the sources:

Case 1:

<ion-select [(ngModel)]="showing" interface="action-sheet" style="width: 30%;">
  <ion-option value="1">Foo</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="2" selected="true">Bar</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="3">Baz</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="4">Quux</ion-option>
</ion-select>

Case 2:

<ion-select [(ngModel)]="showing" interface="action-sheet" style="width: 30%;">
  <ion-option value="1">Foo</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="2" selected="true">Bar</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="3">Baz</ion-option>
  <ion-option value="'favorite'">Favorites</ion-option>
</ion-select>

And I just checked: changing value=ā€œā€˜favoriteā€™ā€ to value=ā€œ4ā€ doesnā€™t change the display. Whatā€™s going on here?

ionChange is separate from Angular change detection. Have the ionChange of your ion-select call changeDetectorRef.detectChanges() so Angular knows to update the DOM.

@AaronSterling do you mean like this: <ion-select ... (ionChange)="changeDetectorRef.detectChanges()">?

If so, it seems to be causing my app to fail to load. And I still donā€™t understand why that would cause Case 1 to fail while Case 2 worksā€¦Iā€™m not interacting with the pages in any way, thatā€™s just how they load.

No code, no error message and no framework information gives me little to work with.

What is showing set to? In my experience, the bound backing property is important here.

@AaronSterling Iā€™m using Ionic 2.2.0. Iā€™m not getting any error messages, just a blank screen with a loading icon instead of the ionic favicon. Currently Iā€™m working on a mockup, so thereā€™s very little code in the controller. Edit: just noticed a bug in my data mocking that was causing an infinite loop, so the blank screen was unrelated to the (ionChange). Sorry for assuming it was your suggestion!

@rapropos Changing showing to match the value of the selected option worked for the foobar-ified version that I posted, but itā€™s not working in the real deal, where both showing and the selected value are set to { level: 1, published: true }. Edit: Could it be the object thatā€™s messing things up? Using inspect, I see: ng-reflect-model="[object Object]"

Wouldnā€™t surprise me. Object equality in JavaScript is gnarly. If itā€™s being cloned internally, it might not compare equal.

1 Like