RC0/1 - High idle CPU usage on iOS 7 (iPhone 4)

Hello,

today I updated from v1.0.0-beta.14 to the new released v1.0.0-rc.1. Then I tested the app as always on my iPhone 4 (iOS 7) and noticed a huge CPU usage in idle mode (when no interaction in the app occurs). Keep in mind that I did not change my code. I just updated the ionic libraries (js, css, fonts).

The first screenshot shows the cpu usage with v1.0.0-beta.14 in idle.

The second screenshot shows the cpu usage with v1.0.0-rc.1 in idle. I also tried it with v1.0.0-rc.0, but it was the same.

It seems as if timers are using a lot of cpu time.

Is this behavior known with v1.0.0-rc.1/v1.0.0-rc.0?

Thanks!!

Did nobody experience the same issue on iPhone 4? This issue prevents me from updating to the newest ionic version :frowning:

If I remember correctly, it wasn’t until iOS8 that they really optimized the browser. I don’t remember many specifics but I know they made quite a few changes in how caching and rendering works to better keep websites/hybrid apps from doing this.

If this wasn’t haooening with Beta 14 I would maybe try and pinpoint the cause of usage? I believe chrome and safari have tools to see exact functions or points that are running. I’m on my phone now but I can find that for you when I get back to my computer later.

I was able to pinpoint the cause of the high cpu usage now. The bottleneck is the SVG spinner and the ionicLoading. When I remove all SVG spinner from my code then the app has a cpu usage of 0% in idle. If I add the spinner again, the cpu usage is around 15-25%. I think the problem is, that after the ionicLoading is hidden and not used anymore, the SVG html element is not removed from DOM and therefore webkit is rendering it (as a hidden element).

On this screenshot you can clearly see that the rendering engine updates the SVG element all the time, even if it is hidden in DOM.

I was able to reproduce this bug with a blank ionic template and a simple ionicLoading statement. Ionic Team, could you please have a look at this problem on iOS 7 (iPhone 4). I think this bug affects a lot more people!

Best Regards,

Bernd

3 Likes

Did you get any solution for this high cpu usage?

I simply replaced the SVG spinner with a .gif loader:

$ionicLoading.show({
    template: "<span class='loader'></span>"
});

Not the best solution but at least it works with iOS 7.

1 Like

This is still a problem in rc4 and the Android Studio CPU profiler shows it quite clearly. CPU usage is around 2% until the first time a spinner is shown and then it will remain at 50% forever after.

CPU usage remains at around 50% because the SVG spinner is never removed from DOM or “stopped”. Unfortunately as long as this bug exists, I can not use the SVG spinner and need to replace it with a .gif spinner (which does not look that good though)

Looking into this, thanks for pointing it out. Will continue on the issue

1 Like