Node-sass@4.5.3 npm install problem

I am unable to start a new Ionic project on MacOS
my environment info:
cli packages: (/usr/local/lib/node_modules)
@ionic/cli-utils : 1.13.0
ionic (Ionic CLI) : 3.13.0
System:
Node : v6.11.2
npm : 5.5.1

admins-Mac:Documents admin$ sudo ionic start test blank
Password:
:heavy_check_mark: Creating directory ./test - done!
[INFO] Fetching app base (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-app-base/archive/master.tar.gz)
:heavy_check_mark: Downloading - done!
[INFO] Fetching starter template blank (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-starter-blank/archive/master.tar.gz)
:heavy_check_mark: Downloading - done!
:heavy_check_mark: Updating package.json with app details - done!
:heavy_check_mark: Creating configuration file ionic.config.json - done!
[INFO] Installing dependencies may take several minutes!

npm install
:heavy_multiplication_x: Running command - failed!
[ERROR] An error occurred while running npm install (exit code 1):

npm WARN deprecated object-keys@0.2.0: Please update to the latest object-keys

> fsevents@1.1.2 install /Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/fsevents
    > node install

[fsevents] Success: 
    "/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/fsevents/lib/binding/Release/node-v48-darwin-x64/fse.node" already 
    installed
    Pass --update-binary to reinstall or --build-from-source to recompile

> node-sass@4.5.3 install /Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass
    > node scripts/install.js

Unable to save binary /Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/darwin-x64-48 : { Error: EACCES: 
    permission denied, mkdir '/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass/vendor'
         at Error (native)
         at Object.fs.mkdirSync (fs.js:923:18)
         at sync (/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/mkdirp/index.js:71:13)
         at Function.sync (/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/mkdirp/index.js:77:24)
         at checkAndDownloadBinary (/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass/scripts/install.js:111:11)
         at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass/scripts/install.js:154:1)
         at Module._compile (module.js:570:32)
         at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:579:10)
         at Module.load (module.js:487:32)
         at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12)
       errno: -13,
       code: 'EACCES',
       syscall: 'mkdir',
       path: '/Users/admin/Documents/test/node_modules/node-sass/vendor' }

downgrading npm to v4 with npm install -g npm@4.6.1 seems to have solved the problem, can someone please confirm that Ionic does not work with npm v5?

Ionic works with all npm versions.

You should not have to run anything with sudo though. If you have, you messes something up, earlier.

I’m still running @4.6.1. I’ve tried with @5.x some time ago and I only got troubles with some plugins compatibility and at building time. I remember it wasn’t because of some Ionic issues, but other plugins or Node components. 4.6.1 is the way to go for me, at least for some more time.

PS: I know about how slow 4.x is, related to new 5.x cache system, but it works good.

Thanks for both ofy our answers. @Sujan12 have you tried creating a new Ionic project with npm 5.5.1 on MacOS?
I know “sudo” is a problem of my configuration, but it has been working for me for a few years now.
Also, only after I installed the npm 4.6.1 I was able to create the new Ionic project. (without any other changes …)

I tried installing a fresh copy of MacOS High Sierra and node, npm, cordova and ionic, and this time it worked well