ngIf not updating when changing view

Hey everyone,

I’m currently trying to create a set of dynamic tabs where certain tabs show or hide, depending on what view you are in within my app. I started off the project using the Tabs starter template, but I feel it’s causing more problems and I’m constantly fighting against the way it wants to do things.The problem is that for some reason my *ngIf is not updating with the latest change to the boolean that it is taking.

Here’s my code so far, some bits cut out for brevity.

I’m using a global file with a behaviorSubject in that looks like this:

import { Injectable } from '@angular/core';
import { Observable } from 'rxjs/Observable';
import 'rxjs/add/operator/share';
import 'rxjs/add/operator/startWith';
import { BehaviorSubject } from 'rxjs/BehaviorSubject';

@Injectable() 
export class AppGlobals {
    public showActionTabs:BehaviorSubject<boolean> = new BehaviorSubject<boolean>(false);

setShowActionTabs(val){
	    this.showActionTabs.next(val);
    } 

getShowActionTabs(): Observable<boolean>{
            return this.showActionTabs.asObservable();
       }
}

Then within my tabs.ts I have the following:

import { NavController, NavParams } from 'ionic-angular';
import { AppGlobals } from '../../app/globals';

export class TabsPage {

public showTabs: boolean;

constructor(public navCtrl: NavController, public _appGlobals: AppGlobals) {
	    this._appGlobals.getShowActionTabs().subscribe((value:boolean) => this.showTabs = value);
    } 
}

Then in my pages that I navigate to I am using something like this to pass in a new true or false:

ionViewWillEnter() {
    this._appGlobals.setShowActionTabs(false);
}

Finally in my tabs.html I have a simple *ngIf as follows:

<ion-tab *ngIf="showTabs" (ionSelect)="toggleCompare()" tabTitle="Compare" tabIcon="custom-compare"></ion-tab>

My investigations so far have lead me to believe that the ngIf just isn’t reacting to the new value because it is already checked for a new value before the new value actually is changed in the behaviourSubject. As if I set the tabs to show or hide on my root page beforehand the *ngIf correctly does what it is supposed to. However if I am to .push() a new page or setRoot() to a new page the *ngIf does not react.

Any help/advice as to what is going on is very appreciated.