IONIC2 and best API approach

ionic 2 api suggestion

Hi guys, thanks to good work with ionic and angular until here is everything awesome!!!

So, maybe someone can helpe me with some advice and guide me on rigth way.

I’ve started a new ionic2 app using meteor 2 following this tutorial meteor + ionic2

During my initial development time Iv tested the integration between meteor and angular 2 and I liked the results. But in the tutorial and the internet Im not found any information about deploing such app, things like separete the server from app, how set the endpoint to my api deployed on galaxy. And because of that I don`t feel safe to continue my development.

So in this thread i search two opinions from who already developed and tested such kind of app with ionic2:

1- Meteor is a good solution? Can someone show me a way to test, deploy and seeing everything runing? (meteor on galaxy for example and mobile on device and this two connected)

2- If meteor is not a fast and good way, so what is a good alternative to developer a back-end mobile api? (maybe node with expess?).

Thanks!

Sorry for my english

1 Like

This is just my own personal opinion, but I think doing backends in JavaScript is dangerous. It makes it too tempting to share code in the client and server applications, which has caused me coupling problems in the past. So I prefer using a completely separate language on the server, which forces me to clearly delineate between client and server code. Golang is my favorite backend language, because it needs no heavy bloaty application server harness like J2EE.

Thanks rapropos for your reply. My search is for a back-end with fast development like meteor. Actually I work with J2EE in a huge bank using REST API to serve our mobile apps and work well, but in my personal app J2EE is too expensive and hard to make a back-end mobile api.

Anyway I’ll research and see your suggestion.

Thanks.

I think NodeJs+Express is the perfect choice to build a Restful API that can be consumed by any kind of client (mobile app, web app, …).
Additionally, almost all cloud platforms support node, particularly you can use Heroku. So, the process is easy : build your api with node+express, deploy it to heroku, consume it using your mobile app.

Hello mbarki2009 thanks for your reply. In my first try in mobile world my tests I was using NodeJS + Express like you said. The results is really good and the options to deploy is huge. With meteor the development time is less compared with NodeJS + Express, but deploy the mobile APP and meteor API is a problem to me, in this exactly moment I try to build in mobile but without success, the APP don’t find meteor API.

Probably you already found it yourself, but in case not, maybe this will help you:

There it says you can edit the URL pointing to meteor, which is at default localhost obviously.

__meteor_runtime_config__ = {
  DDP_DEFAULT_CONNECTION_URL: 'http://localhost:3000'
};

In general I think meteor and Ionic would be an awesome duo and I also would be really interested in combining both. But since Ionic2 entered RC status only a few weeks ago, it might take some weeks more for developers to make the access easier for a broader audience through some npm packages. Let’s keep an eye on it :wink:

Thanks for your reply.

I already try to change de DDP URL but not work.