Ionic on Chrome Os

Hi guys!
I wanna know if someone knows how to set up Ionic + Android SDK + Cordova on Chrome Os.
Surfing the net I haven’t found anything usefull.

Do you want to run an Ionic app on Chrome OS or develop Ionic apps?

I’d like to code and test the apps. Not necessary to test apps on my Chromebook, but would be nice

If you found a way, I’d love to know. ChromeOS is slowly releasing Linux features, but I doubt a full command line is on the way. I will probably either replace ChromeOS with GalliumOS (Xubuntu) or dual boot ChromeOS and Ubuntu

It turns out I’m wrong about a lot of stuff.

1. After reading through the installation guide, I decided GalliumOS was too much trouble for me. However, I did use Crouton to install Xenial Ubuntu 16.04 on an Acer Chromebook 15 (cb5-571, made in 2015). This has been largely successful. It was easy to do, it runs well, and I have successfully installed NodeJS, NPM, and Ionic in it. As a test, I just created a blank template app and used ionic serve. All of this has worked and worked well. I also installed VSCode and it works well. HOWEVER: The Ionic DevApp was able to recognize the presence of the app on WiFi, but not able to load it. I ran into the same problem when running Ubuntu/Bash on Windows Subsystem for Linux. I’m guessing the install in both cases is missing something that would be present in a full installation of Linux, because the DevApp works when I use a PC with full Ubuntu installed.

2. Command line is coming to some Chromebooks. Linux Apps are coming to some Chromebooks and will run them in Debian 9. I read a guide showing someone using apt-get in either Crosh or Shell (couldn’t see). This gave them access to the Debian repository and whole lot else. I just checked and Ionic can be installed by Debian 9. I haven’t tested any of this, but it’s making me rethink my recent purchase and look for a chromebook that will eventually receive access to Linux Apps.

I have a few of those older Chromebooks lieing around. Did you use a specific tutorial or instructions?

Maybe some ports closed? I think the DevApp has a custom protocol that sends/receives on some ports. Might be worth to open an issue if you can find the appropriate repository.

Unfortunately only to the newer ones :frowning:

I’m sorry to revive an old thread and reply so late but I wanted to leave an answer in case others find this in their search results.

I followed this Crouton guide. It requires entering Developer Mode before hand.

Your idea about the ports is probably right. The thing I suggested makes no sense, ha. I haven’t bothered to look into it, because if I want to test on my phone, I can just do it from another computer.

You’re right, about the older Chromebooks. I have an Acer Chromebook 15 (CB5-571) which is on the list of Chromebooks that will never get Crostini/Linux app support, so my only options are either Crouton or GalliumOS. I like the flexibility that running Crouton gives me. I also like that this old Chromebook only cost me $80 at a pawn shop.

I did eventually buy a new chromebook, but I returned it after a while. I was able to use the shell as in normal Linux distros and I successfully installed Ionic. However, when you close the laptop or let your computer fall asleep, ChromeOS closes the terminal. I typically run VS Code by typing “Code .” in terminal, which means VS Code was closed and my unsaved changes were lost every time I closed the laptop. I was also unable to use the Ionic DevApp with the new Chromebook. So for these reasons, I actually prefer using Crouton on the older Chromebook.

1 Like