Ionic in web. Hide browser address bar

When an Ionic App is deployed in the web and you access from a phone, the bar address never dissapears when scrolling down. I know this is because of ion-content or something similar but I haven’t found any work around or info about this, only an issue in github from Ionic 2.

Isn’t there any work around to hide the browser address bar yet? This is a really downcoming…

7 Likes

Maybe I misunderstand?

When you go to a PWA site, using a browser, you don’t want to get rid of the address bar, because you are in a browser!

When you install a PWA onto a device as a PWA and run it, then there is no address bar, because it is running as a PWA!

e.g.

https://ionic-pwa-camera-no-plugins.firebaseapp.com/

But install the PWA, no address bar.

1 Like

See: Fake it: auto-hide the address bar

1 Like

When the content in ion-content is enough to be scrolled and then you scroll, it’s desirable to me that the address bar from Chrome App hides automatically just like it does in any website.

3 Likes

I’ll take a look at that and update you, thanks!

1 Like

Any update on this matter?

I didn’t get it to work yet

Need to achieve same, any updates?

This is still an issue. Websites built with Ionic feel really old-fashioned on the Android mobile browser, because the search bar does not hide when scrolling down. Are there any updates or workarounds yet?

I have the same problem. Can someone help us? Doest exist an official support?

Waiting for workaround …
I also hope this could be fixed by Chrome.

Has anyone tried these techniques…

Hi IonicGeoff,

thank you for your reply.

I already tried everything described in this Stack Overflow thread.

When installing the Ionic app as a PWA, the address bar is hidden. When opening the app as a normal webpage, the address bar does not hide when scrolling down.

Best regards
Rafael

I stumbled upon this while checking our ionic 3 PWA. Other PWA have automatic address bar hide while ionic 3 pwa haven’t. In our manifest, the display is standalone.

Hi, I’m also looking for an answer for this.
Mobile websites look worse if the address bar doesn’t hide, its a pity that ionic apps don’t do that by default.
There must be a way to communicate the scroll event of the ion-content to outside, but unfortunately I’m not a frontend expert.
If would be great if anyone would have a solution, or a hint on how to proceed with this.

Any Update. How to solve this issue?

I Asked on GitHub and they told me they are searching for a workaround, as they did 4 months ago. I think they dont want to fix it but for me is a huge problem

Any update or workaround? This issue will be fixed?

1 Like

They seem to be working on it now, maybe add a thumbs up to the ticket to see if they prioritize https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic/issues/19081

2 Likes