Ionic 5 - iOS rejection due to Uiwebview

We are trying to publish our new iOS(ionic 5) app but apple rejecting the build stating Uiwebview is deprecated. We have followed several references and made all changes, still apple rejection the same. Attached the package.json and config.XML file. Also below is the message received from apple. Quick replies are appreciated as our app is blocked due to this. Thank you

1 Like

No attachment in your post

Here is part of an email I received from Ionic near the end of march 2020:

You can find complete details including upgrade instructions on the [Ionic blog]
(https://ionicframework.com/blog/understanding-itms-90809-uiwebview-api-deprecation), but here’s the summary:

• Using Cordova? Update to cordova-ios 5.1.0 and above, install the WKWebView plugin, and update each Cordova plugin to the latest version.
  • Using Capacitor? Update to the latest version then sync the project.
  • Submit a new version of your app before the deadline to ensure that it has been updated correctly.

We have done all and still getting rejected.

Me too… I did everything that is suggested in the Ionic blog post. But still Apple has rejected citing the same issue. Do not know how else to resolve this.

1 Like

I solve this issue in another ionic project two weeks before and the app got approved by the Apple team.

1. Created a new ionic project in mac and upload in testflight production and I got rejected then add <preference name="WKWebViewOnly" value="true" /> in config.xml. And upload got approved.

2. Install the necessary plugin only and upload got approved.

3. Finally, replace the src folder in the new project with my old project and all UI and functionality work fine then upload and got approved. And the app moved to live and it’s working fine also.

Hi, have you install the wkwebview-engine plugin to your ionic project or did you just add <preference name="WKWebViewOnly" value="true" /> to your config.xml? can you please help me? I’m having the same issue for weeks now and couldn’t find any solution. It will be a good help.

1 Like

Same issue, tried everything, still its getting rejected. Were you able to upload it successfully?

Hi @karansharma27

I have solved my issue by following these steps:

ionic cordova platform add ios@5.1.0
cordova plugin update cordova-plugin-ionic-webview@latest

add to config.xml under ios -->

<feature name="CDVWKWebViewEngine">
<param name="ios-package" value="CDVWKWebViewEngine" />
</feature>
<preference name="CordovaWebViewEngine" value="CDVWKWebViewEngine" />
<preference name="WKWebViewOnly" value="true" />
ionic cordova prepare ios

cordova build ios

hope this will solve your issue

Finally was able to identify the plugin which was creating the issue. It was cordova-plugin-mobile-ocr. If anyone is using that plugin, try after removing it