Installing 32-bit libraries for Android development on 64-bit Ubuntu

Hi,

I am working through the mini-book to install and learn Ionic. One of the steps advises me to install 32-bit libraries for Android development since Android is currently a 32-bit OS. However, when I attempt to install the library listed in the book, I get an error that it is obsolete/no longer available, and lists the following possible alternatives: lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0. I am beyond my purview here and not sure how to proceed. I did attempt to create the default ‘hello’ project and it failed, although from the trace it was not clear it was because the libraries were missing.

Thanks,
Josh

Hmm, I’m not on Ubuntu so I’m not sure I could be of some help. Can you try any of the suggestions from this SO post?

Hi, I installed the libs that were suggested in this thread, but when I try to add android to the project, I get this error:

Error: An error occurred while listing Android targets
at /home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/lib/check_reqs.js:87:29
at _rejected (/home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:808:24)
at /home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:834:30
at Promise.when (/home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:1079:31)
at Promise.promise.promiseDispatch (/home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:752:41)
at /home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:574:44
at flush (/home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/node_modules/q/q.js:108:17)
at process._tickCallback (node.js:415:13)
Error: /home/joshua/.cordova/lib/android/cordova/3.4.0/bin/create: Command failed with exit code 8
at ChildProcess.whenDone (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova/src/superspawn.js:126:23)
at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:98:17)
at maybeClose (child_process.js:743:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:810:5)
Unable to add platform android. Please see console for more info.

Hmm like I stated before, I’m not an Ubuntu person, :smile:

Thankfully, there are awesome people our there in internet-land

Hi,

You actually want to run the following because ia32-libs is unavailable for newer versions of Ubuntu:

apt-get install -qq -y libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libz1:i386

I actually made a script that will install Android and Ionic Framework on Ubuntu in an automated fashion: