How to use cordova-plugin-firebase? (Ionic 2)

Hello people,

I am required to integrate Firebase Analytics to the application I am working on.
I found this plugin: https://github.com/arnesson/cordova-plugin-firebase
Which I downloaded. I also downloaded the configuration file from the Firebase project panel and saved it in the root directory as it says in the plugin repository.

But now I do not know how to continue, did someone use it? How do I use it inside the app?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Did you look at the docs of the plugin?

Here are the analytics functions you can use:

Well, it result that this plugin now is official: http://ionicframework.com/docs/v2/native/firebase/

But i still having problems. If I do what the example says:

import { Firebase } from 'ionic-native';

Firebase.getToken()
  .then(token => console.log(`The token is ${token}`)) // save the token server-side and use it to push notifications to this device
  .catch(error => console.error('Error getting token', error));

Firebase.onTokenRefresh()
  .subscribe((token: string) => console.log(`Got a new token ${token}`));

I get this errors:

"blablabla/ionic-native/dist/es5/index" has no exported member 'Firebase'.

And therefore:

Error: Uncaught (in promise): TypeError: Cannot read property 'getToken' of undefined

What is the benefit of running the native plugin? It isn’t required. I looked at it and couldn’'t understand why I needed it, so I didn’t install it. Not a snarky question – I genuinely don’t understand why it’s better than just following the instructions on the Firebase home page.

1 Like

Ok, with this specific error message I think someone that knows a bit about Ionic2 will be able to help you. (I don’t, so good luck.)

1 Like

How did you include analytics from the firebase instructions? Because, as I see it, analytics functions are only available for Android and IOS native, not for the web. And in ionic 2 we work everything as if it were web.
That’s why I tried to use the plugin, because otherwise I can not find a way to do it.

If you did it by following the instructions from firebase, could you tell me how you did it?
Thanks for answering!

1 Like

Hi Aaron,

I’m trying to get Firebase Analytics running on mi Ionic 2 app and am running into the same issue that Colo9311 mentions. Can you explain which plugin did you use and how you got it working?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

I got the same error with “blablabla/ionic-native/dist/es5/index” has no exported member ‘Firebase’.

I try to rebuild ionic project, then find the plugin work!!

Hi @kiko555, can you explain me how to rebuild ionic project? So I can also use the plugin :slight_smile:

after execute “ionic state reset”,
I saw the Firebase in “blablabla/ionic-native/dist/es5/index”.

If you don’t want change the project right now.
I suggest you try to create a new ionic project, then add the plugin and check import.

I suppose the “blablabla/ionic-native/dist/es5/index” not change with the “ionic plugin add cordova-plugin-firebase”

I am facing the same problem.

To make this plugin work with ionic 2, my workaround is the following :

• Install the plugin :
    ionic plugin add cordova-plugin-badge

• Add this line in /src/declaration.d.ts
    interface Window { FirebasePlugin: any; }

• And follow the instructions on the github page of the plugin. For instance :
    window.FirebasePlugin.getToken(function(token) { console.log(token); }, function(error) { console.error(error); });

The ionic-native doc is not compliant with this way of importing the plugin.

Are all of you certain that you have >=2.3.0 of ionic-native when the Firebase plugin was added? There should be no need for Window-based kludgery.

1 Like

Hi Colo9311,

Have you done the analytics task? Can you share how you have done it? Thanks.

Nope, I finally used Facebook analytics wich worked for me.

I have done that.Please see this Gist.

1 Like

Thank you!! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re warmly welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like