How to stop page leave

I want to stop a page transition from within the onPageWillLeave hook. I want to perform some validation there, and then stop the user from leaving if the validation fails. Is this possible currently? Is there a better way that I should be aware of? Thanks!

If you don’t rely on default navigation but do your navigation in your controller it’s easy.

For example, if you want to be able to control whether or not the back-button at the top of the screen goes back to the previous view, you could just define a new back-button in your template and handle the on-click for that button. An example:

The template:

<ion-view view-title="MyView">
    <ion-nav-buttons side="left">
        <button class="button button-clear icon ion-ios-arrow-back" ng-click="goBack()">Back</button>
    </ion-nav-buttons>
    <ion-content class="padding">
    </ion-content>
</ion-view>

In your controller:

$scope.goBack = function()
 {
    if (inputIsValid()) {
       $ionicHistory.goBack();
    }
    else {
       alert("There's something wrong with your input");
    }
 };

Thanks for your reply. I’m handling navigation in a separate component, a primary bar component, which is separate from the current component controller on screen, so this solution is not ideal for me. Also, I’m using Ionic 2.

@lastmj Excuse me,Did you solve this problem?

I just wanted to mention that there’s an open issue about this, in case that someone finds this topic: