Creating and exporting files on device

Newbie here,

My app has an html table that i would like the user to be able to export as PDF.
I found the jsPDF lib to match my needs when it comes to creating a pdf, and it works fine on a simple browser, however i do not know how to do this on a device.

The jsPDF has a method called save that downloads the file but i really need help on getting this to work on a device.

I am also ok with exporting the file by sending an email and i have seen the email plugin that can be used but i am not really sure how to generate the file on the device.

Any help will be great,
Elad.

You can use PhoneGap File API (“cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.file”) and pdf that is generated by jsPDF can be saved in the device’s local file system.

Can you provide any working demo of that app. If you have created one. I was also saving the file but it is not saving.

This ngCordova plugin works really well and is pretty straightforward to use: http://ngcordova.com/docs/plugins/file/

Basic steps:

1. Install ngCordova and inject into your app: http://ngcordova.com/docs/install/

2. Add $cordovaFile to your controller:

.controller(‘MyCtrl’, function($scope, $cordovaFile){ … }

3. Inside your controller, create a new file called “new_file.txt” making sure to only use $cordovaFile after the device is ready:

document.addEventListener(‘deviceready’, function () {
    console.log(‘device is ready, lets do some file reading’);
    $cordovaFile.createFile(cordova.file.dataDirectory, “new_file.txt”, true)
    .then(function (success) {
    console.log(‘successfully created new_file’);
    }, function (error){
    console.log(‘file write error’ + error);
    }); });
    ;

I found Android much easier to debug but XCode can help a bit, in particular:
(with device attached!)
Windows > Devices > Installed Apps > click Gear Icon > Show Container > scroll through file system, under Library/NoCloud your files will be written (default path).

Common pitfalls to be aware of:

1. This will ONLY work on a device, will not work in a browser ie. ionic serve.
  2. When adding new plugins I often have to install the plugin, remove the platforms(s), readd the platform(s).

According to my understanding this is something you need
Use “npm install”, “bower install” and “cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.file” for getting dependencies.

GitHub Project

Cool but your repo still lack about readme.md could you provide one especially about plugin installation?