Cordova Android 11 Build Error

Hello,

I have upgraded cordova-android of my ionic 6 project from 10.1.2 to 11.0.0 using below commands as shown in this cordova’s official blog.

cordova platform remove android
cordova platform add android@11.0.0

Both commands ran without any error. But if I build my project now I am getting the below error:

FAILURE: Build completed with 2 failures.

1: Task failed with an exception.
-----------
* Where:
Script 'D:\project\@Codes Repos\Ionic6-cordova - Copy\platforms\android\cordova-plugin-code-push\projecttest-build-extras.gradle' line: 66

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred evaluating script.
> Could not find method compile() for arguments [com.nimbusds:nimbus-jose-jwt:5.1, projecttest_build_extras_5yckz03x3pcqc3cg9p6fyikbd$_run_closure3$_closure8@751df0bf] on object of type org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.

* Try:
> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
> Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
> Run with --scan to get full insights.
==============================================================================

2: Task failed with an exception.
-----------
* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring project ':app'.
> compileSdkVersion is not specified. Please add it to build.gradle

* Try:
> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
> Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
> Run with --scan to get full insights.
==============================================================================

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 8.0.

You can use '--warning-mode all' to show the individual deprecation warnings and determine if they come from your own scripts or plugins.

See https://docs.gradle.org/7.4.2/userguide/command_line_interface.html#sec:command_line_warnings

BUILD FAILED in 33s
Command failed with exit code 1: D:\project\@Codes Repos\Ionic6-cordova - Copy\platforms\android\gradlew cdvBuildDebug -b D:\project\@Codes Repos\Ionic6-cordova - Copy\platforms\android\build.gradle
[ERROR] An error occurred while running subprocess cordova.

cordova.cmd build android exited with exit code 1.

Re-running this command with the --verbose flag may provide more information.

Ionic info

Ionic:

Ionic CLI                     : 6.19.0 (C:\Users\CGauns\AppData\Roaming\nvm\v16.15.0\node_modules\@ionic\cli)
   Ionic Framework               : @ionic/angular 6.1.10
   @angular-devkit/build-angular : 13.2.6
   @angular-devkit/schematics    : 13.2.6
   @angular/cli                  : 13.2.6
   @ionic/angular-toolkit        : 6.1.0

Cordova:

Cordova CLI       : 11.0.0
   Cordova Platforms : android 11.0.0
   Cordova Plugins   : cordova-plugin-ionic-keyboard 2.2.0, cordova-plugin-ionic-webview 5.0.0, (and 23 other plugins)

Utility:

cordova-res                          : 0.15.4
   native-run (update available: 1.6.0) : 1.5.0

System:

Android SDK Tools : 26.1.1 (D:\Android\sdk)
   NodeJS            : v16.15.0 (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe)
   npm               : 8.5.5
   OS                : Windows 10

JDK : jdk-11.0.15
Gradle: 7.4.2

Ok. Issue resolved after removing code push plugin

Command: cordova plugin remove cordova-plugin-code-push

the plugin is using compile keyword which was deprecated long ago and removed on gradle 7, which cordova-android uses

The plugin is archived, so yeah, best thing is to remove it as it’s not being maintained anymore

1 Like

What’s the alternate solution to this one? Is it possible we use an older version of gradle for the build? I have atleast 3-4 plugin which are causing this issue and we are not sure if the authors of those plugins are going to update them? :slightly_frowning_face: Tried readding these plugins with latest version, but it still crashes with these errors.

If plugins are abandoned or not maintained, you can fork them and update them yourself, the fix is as simple as changing compile to implementation

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you so much. :innocent: