Conditional readonly on ion-input

I’ve got a bit of a newbie question here I think. I want to programatically set the readonly property of an ion-input.

From what I’ve read, I should do this in the following way:

<ion-input type="number" [readonly]="isReadonly"></ion-input>

and in my JS file I should have a function that returns true or false to toggle the readonly tag:

isReadonly() {return true;}

This doesn’t seem to be working for me, as the input is writable no matter the value returned form the readonly function - inspecting the HTML reveals that the readonly property is never added to the input tag. Adding a console.log in the isReadonly function is also not written to the console, so I believe its not even being called, but I don’t know why!

Any pointers on how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated!

Could you try changing it to this?

[readonly]="isReadonly()"

Note the () I think you need it because you are trying to use a function instead of a variable.

I should have mentioned that I had also tried with the parentheses, but I still get the same result.

I’ve also tried setting a variable (this.isReadonly = true in the constructer) and this also doesn’t seem to work.

Any other thoughts on how I could get this to work?

Can you do a ionic info so we know what you are working with? I am a typescript guy though :stuck_out_tongue:

Your system information:

Cordova CLI: 6.1.1
Gulp version: CLI version 3.9.1
Gulp local: Local version 3.9.1
Ionic Framework Version: 2.0.0-beta.4
Ionic CLI Version: 2.0.0-beta.25
Ionic App Lib Version: 2.0.0-beta.15
ios-deploy version: 1.8.6
ios-sim version: 5.0.8
Node Version: v4.4.2
Xcode version: Xcode 7.0 Build version 7A220

This seems to be a bug with ion-input.

Could you open an issue on github about this.

Woohoo, its not just me - opening an issue on Github now :slight_smile:

Thanks for opening the issue, I’ll just link it here in case anyone else finds this topic:

readonly="{{isReadonly}}"

The advice in the previous post is bad. Always prefer [foo]="bar" over foo="{{bar}}" because otherwise you will get unpleasantly surprised when binding non-strings.

Thanks. This has helped me in my code

On the link from iignatov, the subject is closed because you can use the attribute ‘disabled’ instead of ‘readonly’ and it works.