Chrome extension built with Ionic: Notyfy

Hey all, I’ve been working quite some time on https://notyfy.co. Before I get to the next phase, I’d like to gather constructive feedback. It might look familiar if you know the “Chime” chrome extension that I loved using. But it stopped working 5 years ago. On top of it, it used chrome extension permissions I’d like to prevent needing to use, e.g. reading cookies.

What does it do: It checks periodically your online platforms and tells you when you have new notifications and lists them all in one place

Do I need to login for these services? No. Notyfy automatically checks which online platforms you’re logged in for.

What online platforms are available:

• Gmail
  • Facebook
  • Reddit
  • StackOverflow
  • Medium
  • Quora
  • LinkedIn

Tech used:

• Ionic v4 (vanilla-js provided through CDN)
  • Vue
  • Github pages

Site: https://notyfy.co/

If there is any interest I can try writing up the journey of writing a chrome extension with Ionic, their pros and cons.

Cheers!

Oh and what it does is checking for notifications every 1 minute. Since you don’t load the whole site (all facebook assets come around ~25 Mb) you can save lots of bandwith, too.

I created an overview table for myself to keep track of things:

Provider Count List Link out Mark as seen Count weight (kb)
Facebook :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: 34.8 kb
Gmail :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: 0.7 kb
Reddit :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: 34.2 kb
Medium :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :no_entry_sign:¹ 9.5 kb
StackOverflow :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :no_entry_sign: 17.2 kb
Quora :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :no_entry_sign: 31.5 kb
LinkedIn :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :no_entry_sign: 37.2 kb
Twitter :no_entry_sign:¹ :no_entry_sign:¹ :no_entry_sign:¹ :no_entry_sign:¹ ? kb
GitHub :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :no_entry_sign: 30-40 kb
  • Count: fetching the count of new notifications (periodically once per minute)
  • List: fetching all notification informations when opening the popup
  • Link out: clicking on an item in the list results in linking to that notification
  • Mark as seen: ability to mark notifications as seen
  • Count weight: how much kb it takes for a fetch count (periodically once per minute)

¹) Origin check (“pbooicmlenggnnbmeklbchdancakcidb is not an allowed domain. Our host is (medium.com, /me/activity/last-viewed)”)