Check if a modal is opened

Is there any way to check if a modal is currently being presented?

I tried to use NavController to get the active view, but it gives me the page and not the modal view.

// Create and present the modal somewhere in a component/page
const modal = this.modalCtrl.create(MyModalPage);
modal.present();

// Check if we are presenting a modal in AppComponent
const view = this.navCtrl.getActive();
console.log(view.component === MyModalPage); // gives false

Not sure, not behing my code right now, but doesn’t present provide a promise back?

modal.present().then(() => {
    // Do stuff it's open
 });

Yes, but that does not help if I want to check if a modal is being presented from another component or service. The modal is presented from a service, and the check is done in the app component.

Maybe (just an idea)…

const view = this.navCtrl.getActive();
   console.log(view.component === MyModalPage); // gives => ????
});

Same thing. The active view seems to be the view behind the modal (the page where I was on before I presented the modal).

sorry then :frowning: could have a look later tonight if I’ve got something like that in my project

Simple add a service, that holds the info if a modal is open.

modalService.setActive();
});

in your other component

modalService.isActive() // return true or false

I see, so there is no official API that can do that? I have a hack in place that is similar to what you suggest, but it’s not really a good solution.

i think a service is a really good solution for that ;). because they are made to share data between components/pages

I had a similar issue although with ionic/angular version 1, I just decided to drop the crude solution I came up with, in case someone stumbles on this post like I did when I searched online for the same solution. I was able to check if $ionicModal is opened by checking if the modal $scope variable is shown. Since it return’s undefined if it’s not showing.
Example:

$ionicModal.fromTemplateUrl("modal.html", {
	scope: $scope,
	animation: "slide-in-up"
}).then(function(modal){
	$scope.modal = modal;
	$scope.modal.show();
});

if($scope.modal._isShown){ /*_isShown returns boolean value of true if modal is showing otherwise returns undefined */
//
// do some super cool stuff here.......
}

Although, I don’t know if this is the most elegant way to achieve this but it worked for me and hope it helps someone!

I agree that is not a good solution since there is already a navigation controller to keep track of views. That should be the service in charge.

Do you mean check if a user’s Modal is open, remotely?

Could you not just have a status set on your back-end for each user that toggles on open/Close of the modal. For instance, a ‘modal_open’ field, something like that?

If you mean checking if the current user has the modal open, @bengtler has the right idea. Just have a modal_is_open boolean that toggles in a service

For modals, popovers, loading overlays, toast etc, you can check existence by calling getTop() on the controller:

loadingCtrl.getTop().then(v => v ? loadingCtrl.dismiss() : null);

If getTop() returns a value, you can do some work on it, else return null.