Can't `ionic start` on windows 10

this is the lines of my prompt. Please, I’m a beginner. Help me.

C:\Windows\System32>ionic start meuProjeto
openssl config failed: error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such process
? What starter would you like to use: blank
✔ Creating directory .\meuProjeto - done!
[INFO] Fetching app base
       (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-app-base/archive/master.tar.gz)
✔ Downloading - done!
[INFO] Fetching starter template blank
       (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-starter-blank/archive/master.tar.gz)
✔ Downloading - done!
✔ Updating package.json with app details - done!
✔ Creating configuration file ionic.config.json - done!
[INFO] Installing dependencies may take several minutes!
> npm install
✖ Running command - failed!
[ERROR] An error occurred while running npm install (exit code 1):

openssl config failed: error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such
        process
        npm WARN deprecated object-keys@0.2.0: Please update to the latest
        object-keys
        npm ERR! code 1
        npm ERR! Command failed: C:\Program Files\Git\cmd\git.EXE submodule
        update -q --init --recursive
        npm ERR! C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64/libexec/git-core\git-submodule:
        line 7: basename: command not found
        line 7: sed: command not found
        line 19: .: git-sh-setup: file not found
        npm ERR!

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
        npm ERR!
        C:\Users\GABRIEL\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2017-06-27T03_10_50_536Z-debug.log
        openssl config failed: error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such
        process
1 Like

I am having this exact same issue. What happened? I didn’t touch any of the packages. I just want to create a new ionic project.

There are also other devs having the same issue

I thought it was just my computer. :sweat:

Updated all from git/node/npm and problem still exist.

Hello,
I had a similar issue, I was using the latest version of node and it didn’t work.
I recommand you to switch Node 6.11.0 if you have higher.
GL

Seems like a global problem. Multiple threads about it also on the gitpage.

My node version is that version.

I think the problem is with Open SSL:

openssl config failed: error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such process

This happen every time I install ionic.

On Windows you can also set the environment property OPENSSL_CONF. For example from the commandline you can type:

set OPENSSL_CONF=c:/libs/openssl-0.9.8k/openssl.cnf

to validate it you can type:

echo %OPENSSL_CONF%

source: windows - OpenSSL and error in reading openssl.conf file - Stack Overflow

this can be the solution!

Me too. I juts followed the instructions in the ionic page and downloaded the recomendable version of all programs. Later, I tried the latests versions and the problem still happening.

Same problem on my machine. It was working fine yesterday. I have tried updating GIT, npm. Still the problem persist

Hi dudes I find a solution:

I have been working with Ionic since May with some build problems, but today when I tried to create a new starter project by:

ionic start myApp tabs

I just received:

[ERROR] An error occurred while running npm install (exit code 1):

npm WARN deprecated object-keys@0.2.0: Please update to the latest object-keys
    npm ERR! code 128
    npm ERR! Command failed: C:\Program Files\Git\cmd\git.EXE submodule update -q --init --recursive
    npm ERR! fatal: 'submodule' appears to be a git command, but we were not
    npm ERR! able to execute it. Maybe git-submodule is broken?

I tried all (like some people there), to update the whole npm, npm gtit, git, ionic, cordova, etc… And also I tried to skip git with --git flag. But the one way to resolve the issue was the following sequence:

ionic start myApp [tabs/blank/menu] --skip-deps

and then

cd myApp

npm install

Windows10 64b
npm 5.0.3
ionic 3.4.0
Cordova 7.0.1

Good luck dudes.

2 Likes

That did work for me as well

1 Like

that did work fine unitl the input npm install

C:\Users\GABRIEL>ionic start myApp [tabs/blank/menu] --skip-deps
? The directory myApp contains file(s) that could conflict. Would you like to o
verwrite the directory with this new project? Yes
✖ Creating directory .\myApp - failed!
Unable to find starter template for [tabs/blank/menu]

C:\Users\GABRIEL>ionic start myApp [tabs/blank/menu] --skip-deps

C:\Users\GABRIEL>ionic start firstApp [tabs/blank/menu] --skip-deps
✖ Creating directory .\firstApp - failed!

C:\Users\GABRIEL>ionic start firstApp [tabs/menu] --skip-deps
Unable to find starter template for [tabs/menu]

C:\Users\GABRIEL>
C:\Users\GABRIEL>ionic start firstApp --skip-deps
? What starter would you like to use: blank
[INFO] Fetching app base
       (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-app-base/archive/master.tar.gz)
✔ Downloading - done!
[INFO] Fetching starter template blank
       (https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic2-starter-blank/archive/master.tar.gz)
✔ Downloading - done!
✔ Updating package.json with app details - done!
✔ Creating configuration file ionic.config.json - done!
> git init
✔ Running command - done!
> git add -A
> git commit -m "Initial commit" --no-gpg-sign

♬ ♫ ♬ ♫  Your Ionic app is ready to go! ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

Run your app in the browser (great for initial development):
  ionic serve

Run on a device or simulator:
  ionic cordova run ios

Test and share your app on a device with the Ionic View app:
  http://view.ionic.io

? Link this app to your Ionic Dashboard to use tools like Ionic View? Yes

You will need to login in order to link this app. Please run the following commands to do so.
  ionic login - login first
  ionic link - then link your app

Go to your newly created project: cd .\firstApp

C:\Users\GABRIEL>cd firstApp

C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp>npm install
npm WARN deprecated object-keys@0.2.0: Please update to the latest object-keys
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: chokidar@1.7.0 (node_modules\chokidar):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\chokidar-bf12ecbf\lib\nodefs-handler.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: rollup@0.42.0 (node_modules\rollup):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\rollup-1ae93678\bin\rollup'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: autoprefixer@7.1.1 (node_modules\autoprefixer):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\autoprefixer-2910177f\lib\selector.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: tslint-eslint-rules@4.1.1 (node_modules\tslint-eslint-rules):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\tslint-eslint-rules-7a8df5d7\dist\rules\spaceInParensRule.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: tslint@5.2.0 (node_modules\tslint):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\tslint-92722b4c\lib\rules\alignRule.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: rollup-plugin-node-builtins@2.1.2 (node_modules\rollup-plugin-node-builtins):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\rollup-plugin-node-builtins-8a1084b9\src\es6\zlib-lib\binding.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: webpack@2.6.1 (node_modules\webpack):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\webpack-7969b247\lib\dependencies\ImportContextDependency.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: uglify-js@2.8.27 (node_modules\uglify-js):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\uglify-js-2b083f83\lib\compress.js'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: node-sass@4.5.3 (node_modules\node-sass):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, utime 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\node-sass-f1fa52da\src\libsass\src\plugins.cpp'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.1.2 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: EEXIST: file already exists, mkdir 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\fsevents-98cd5b1b\node_modules\jodid25519'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: File exists: C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\fsevents-98cd5b1b\node_modules\jodid25519
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: clean-css@3.4.27 (node_modules\clean-css):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: sha1-re91sxwWD/pdcvTeZ5ZuJmDBolU= integrity checksum failed when using sha1: wanted sha1-re91sxwWD/pdcvTeZ5ZuJmDBolU= but got sha1-BQxriqy+XANXujCt+5XoKnK+CPQ=. (4995 bytes)
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: core-js@2.4.1 (node_modules\core-js):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: EEXIST: file already exists, mkdir 'C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\core-js-e75f556b\library\fn\string\virtual'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: File exists: C:\Users\GABRIEL\firstApp\node_modules\.staging\core-js-e75f556b\library\fn\string\virtual

npm ERR! code EINTEGRITY
npm ERR! sha1-PTgyGCgjHkNPKHUUlZw3qCtin0I= integrity checksum failed when using sha1: wanted sha1-PTgyGCgjHkNPKHUUlZw3qCtin0I= but got sha1-pCLgbn6TgP3p9C3hc9/O+XZ1zG8=. (245234 bytes)

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\GABRIEL\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2017-06-27T15_52_15_927Z-debug.log

Hey yall we’re aware of the error and will be fixing this. Sorry for any issues!

3 Likes

Can we follow the progress of the fix somewhere or do you know a way to get around the error?

You should configure your git globaly.

git config --global user.email "email@example.com"
git config --global user.name “Your Name”

This works for me.

2 Likes

That did work for me, but still doesn’t explain why it worked for weeks before setting this

The solution for me on Windows 8 by doing downgrade git to version 1.9.5.

I created an issue for this at `npm start` fails on Windows because of `bonjour@github:resin-io/bonjour` stuff · Issue #2477 · ionic-team/ionic-cli · GitHub now. Please add your error messages and reports if yours are similar but not identical.

Here is another topic on this: