Can't get ngCordova recognizing camera/flashlight on Android

Hi,

I am trying to get my first basic app working with the ionic framework and ngCordova.To get the camera working in my Ionic app, I have followed the instructions in the ngCordova documentation and taken the following steps:

• Installing ngCordova with bower
  • Including ngCordova.js in a script tag before ngCordova.js
  • Installing the necessary plugins with cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.camera

I have the example code from the docs included in my main controller:

var options = { 
    quality : 75, 
    destinationType : Camera.DestinationType.DATA_URL, 
    sourceType : Camera.PictureSourceType.CAMERA, 
    allowEdit : true,
    encodingType: Camera.EncodingType.JPEG,
    targetWidth: 100,
    targetHeight: 100,
    popoverOptions: CameraPopoverOptions,
    saveToPhotoAlbum: false
};

$cordovaCamera.getPicture(options).then(function(imageData) {
  // Success! Image data is here
}, function(err) {
  // An error occured. Show a message to the user
});

I then add android as a platform using ionic platform add android, then run the app on my phone using ionic run while my LG G2 phone is connected via USB. The problem is, it doesn’t work. I get the following error:

ReferenceError: Camera is not defined
at new <anonymous> (file:///android_asset/www/js/app.js:36:45)
at invoke (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:11591:17)
at Object.instantiate (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:11602:23)
at file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14906:28
at file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14295:34
at forEach (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:7957:20)
at nodeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14282:11)
at compositeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:13730:13)
at compositeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:13733:13)
at publicLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:13626:30)

To figure out whether it was something wrong with ngCordova as a whole, or just specifically the camera function, I also tried to get the flashlight working by the same steps and using the flashlight example code:

var isAvailable = $cordovaFlashlight.available()

$cordovaFlashlight.switchOn() .then( function (success) { /* success / }, function (error) { / error */ });

When I try to run this, I get a similar error.

TypeError: Cannot read property 'flashlight' of undefined
at Object.available (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ngCordova/dist/ng-cordova.js:1243:23)
at new <anonymous> (file:///android_asset/www/js/app.js:36:42)
at invoke (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:11591:17)
at Object.instantiate (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:11602:23)
at file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14906:28
at file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14295:34
at forEach (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:7957:20)
at nodeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:14282:11)
at compositeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:13730:13)
at compositeLinkFn (file:///android_asset/www/lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js:13733:13)

Does anyone know what could be going on? I feel like I have followed the steps outlined in the documentation correctly.

(As a sanity check, I tried logging the value of window.cordova to check that it is actually there. It is, but interestingly, the cordova.plugins property is an object that only contains the property “Keyboard”. I would have expected it to also have some sort of reference to a Camera and Flashlight too. Perhaps this has something to do with the problem?)

1 Like

I’ve same problem like you, i add this in my android.json

{
                            "xml": "<feature name=\"Camera\"><param name=\"android-package\" value=\"org.apache.cordova.camera\" /></feature>",
                            "count": 1
                        },

Then i recompile again.