Can't get blank starter app working with states

I’ve been trying to get this to work for an embarrassingly long time and just can’t seem to get it. I’m trying to take the blank starter app and add the $stateProvider and urlRouterProvider with some states. I’ve taken what I can grasp from the tab’s starter project and moved it over to the blank starter. Right now I can’t even get a single page to load in. I’m not sure I fully grasp how states, ion-views, urls, and the navigation stack all relate to each other.

Here’s a codepen I made of it, http://codepen.io/iarry/pen/eJWeEO, which currently doesn’t even load.

So I’ve figured out why the initial page wasn’t showing, it’s because my state needed to have '' as the view name since in my <ion-nav-view></ion-nav-view in the index.html had no name. The issue with this is now that in order to load my second page, it also needs to have the view named '', which doesn’t seem like a big deal. However now I need to make sure that my home page state is created after the second page’s state in order to get the back button to appear.

It feels like I’m missing something.

Also I tried updating the codepen, but I think the template I started with is botching something because it’s not loading on there.