3.9.0 upgrade: TypeError: parent.registerChildNav is not a function

Just working through a hefty upgrade. The upgrade instructions on the release are quite clear, and I have also upgraded ngrx as recommended at https://github.com/ngrx/platform/blob/master/MIGRATION.md#ngrxeffects

I’m stuck on an error though:

ERROR TypeError: parent.registerChildNav is not a function
    at new Nav (nav.js:67)
    at createClass (core.js:12174)
    at createDirectiveInstance (core.js:12011)
    at createViewNodes (core.js:13449)
    at callViewAction (core.js:13881)
    at execComponentViewsAction (core.js:13790)

I can start new apps via ionic start and they work as expected. They are different though - at the error break point (nav.js:67) the freshly-built apps have null for a parent while my app has an object with seemingly no data attached to it.

Here is the line in the TS file:

I have just finished reducing my nav structure down to a single page (completely gutted my app.component.ts file) and this error persists, so I am thinking it might be an import problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Are you getting this when you compile, or after you run? My first guess would be that your Effects are doing something you didn’t predict. But maybe you aren’t even getting that far.

Thanks for the tip @AaronSterling - this is during runtime, compile is fine.

I’ll start eliminating my stores and see if that makes a difference.

Through package elimination I have confirmed that this error is caused by the ionic-angular@3.9.0 upgrade. Version 3.8.0 works fine.

Still no resolution though. It was a very long day of uninstalling and reinstalling packages with specific versions.

Well crap… attempting the 3.9.0 upgrade again, hit this problem again, and the search results lead me back here. Looks like past me didn’t get past this, now I’m really worried :frowning: