Youtube plugin deprecated?

I am using the Ionic Native plugin for Youtube. I build it for iOS and run it on my device. The video opens but there is no sound!

I got a bunch of warnings from XCode that many elements of the plugin had been deprecated. It was a huge list but here are a just few:

'MPMovieControlStyleEmbedded' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 9.0 - Use AVPlayerViewController in AVKit.

'MPMoviePlayerViewController' is deprecated: first deprecated in iOS 9.0 - Use AVPlayerViewController in AVKit.

I installed the latest version of the plugin, I am sure. So, I guess this plugin is not to be used anymore. Can someone confirm? Indeed, there must be a warning on the official page of this plugin that it doesn’t work any more.

Deprectation means nothing else than that something will not be able to be used some time in the future. Nothing else, it has no effect at all at current functionality.

1 Like

Since deprecation is the only error message that I am getting (nothing during build), I thought it can cause the “no sound” problem.

I am testing this on an iPhone 7. The video plays but there is no sound.

Furthermore, some videos do not play. For example, music videos by some big labels do not play. There are unknown restrictions and problems with this plugin that should be documented imo.

I am pretty sure this plugin is on Github, so feel free to send a PR to their repo with the missing documentation.

1 Like