Where does the ionic framework fit in

Where Does the ionic framework fit-in?

This is more of a follow-up question related to the blog post by Adam Bradley - http://ionicframework.com/blog/where-does-the-ionic-framework-fit-in/

I’m evaluating Ionic for use as a mobile web application - that is not packaged as a native app using cordova. Is this outside of the goals of the framework?

A brief look at just the size of the framework from both a JS and CSS perspective leeds me to believe that perhaps it is - but perhaps in this scenario it’s possible to use only certain “parts” or modules of the framework that you need.

Are others using the framework in this manner?

Thanks

Hey @mdarnall.

It definitely can be used for that. There are a few things we do that are annoying in a mobile browser. For example, forget using dragging for side menus, as Safari and Chrome both hijack the side panning to do things like go back in history or switch tabs.

Beyond that, we test extensively in the mobile browser, though we do target Cordova as the reference container.

I guess the point is that you should pick parts of the framework that work better in a mobile browser context. Not using a side menu is a big one, and is probably the only big one.

Definitely give it a go!