Upgrade instructions for starter apps

I’m looking at the guide for upgrading but it doesn’t seem to cover the case where I’ve used ionic start appName to generate the app. I can likely figure this out myself but I’m a little worried that I’m going to miss something important.

Any recommendations here?

Also, any plans for a ionic upgrade command for the future to make this a little easier?

What I’m doing to upgrade is to generate another app diff the root dir files, the replace www/lib with the contents of the new generated app’s www/lib.

To upgrade just download the build on the home page of the framework and put all files on www/lib replacingthe old ones for the downloaded.

Nothing else must be done in order to upgrade your app.
Somethimes though, there are breaking changes on the DOM of your HTML files, and you should read the release notes carefully looking for those changes. (usually is just changing a <tag> for other <tag>)

greetings

What if I have changes to the SASS files (e.g., custom colors)? This technique doesn’t quite work in that case. Is there a better way to override defaults in SASS without having to touch www/lib/ionic/scss?

I see know. I should make custom changes in scss/ionic.app.scss.

The issue is ambiguous documentation. Comments of scss/ionic.app.scss is state

To customize the look and feel of Ionic, you can override the variables
in ionic’s _variables.scss file.

I think it should say …

To customize the look and feel of Ionic, in this file you can override the variables
in ionic’s _variables.scss file.

The Guide is much more clear on this point…

While you can change the _variables.scss file directly, we recommend you override these variables in your own app.scss file

It looks like the starter apps make use of bower. Would that be the proper way to upgrade?