Testing on iOS device without developer membership

XCode 7 (beta) allows developers to test their apps on iOS devices without having to pay 99 $ per year. I was able to build a native project using XCode without paying the fee, but have failed so far trying to do it using ionic.

If someone has managed to build an app for iOS using ionic and without developer membership, a tutorial would be highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Testing with Xcode 7 beta without membership works fine unless you updated your iPhone to iOS 8.4 (the apple music update).

I have an iPhone 6 and was able to test my ionic apps until I updated.

1 Like

I’m not sure if my problem is with XCode 7 compability or with something else. It would help my abduction process if I knew what error you get, since your problem is probably caused by XCode update. What error message do you get? What I get after running “ionic run ios” is the following:

Check dependencies
Code Sign error: No matching provisioning profiles found: No provisioning profiles with a valid signing identity (i.e. certificate and private key pair) matching the bundle identifier “com.testproject” were found.
CodeSign error: code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 9.0'

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
Check dependencies
(1 failure)
Error: /Users/semiroot/Github/testproject/platforms/ios/cordova/run: Command failed with exit code 65
    at ChildProcess.whenDone (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/cordova/node_modules/cordova-lib/src/cordova/superspawn.js:135:23)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:98:17)
    at maybeClose (child_process.js:766:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:833:5)

Start at the command line by running ‘ionic build ios’

Afterwards, open Xcode, and load your .xcodeproj found in /yourapp/platforms/ios/

Then check the settings in Xcode. I don’t know why you have iOS 9 SDK as default. That might be an issue.

You can select the device you want to test on in Xcode. If you have your own phone, select that. If it’s running iOS 8.4, then you have to do a work around. Search google for ‘Xcode 7 ios 8.4’ to find the right stackoverflow article about it.

Assuming you have everything setup right, you can click the play button in Xcode and it will test on either a simulator or your phone.

I don’t really use ‘ionic run ios’ - I always go thru Xcode - I think its the better way.

Good luck

1 Like

At least in this particular case that way was better – it worked! Thanks for suggesting that building method. I was running iOS 9 + OS X Yosemite + XCode 7 beta 1, and now I can confirm that building for iOS with that combination using XCode 7 is possible without developer membership.

Sorry, but this didn’t work for me. I think you need to be aware of the configuration around provisioning profiles here, as I continue getting this error:

“No non–expired provisioning profiles were found.”

Also, according to the documentation, a development certificate is required for a provisioning profile to be created.