Strategy for getting information at startup website? app? both?

This may or may not be the appropriate forum, but I am constructing B2C app - lets call it biz.com, and want the Consumers to be able to go to our ‘app’ with a url - something like ‘biz.com/unique_business_name’ where upon after creating an account, then the ‘unique business name’ business would become their favourite - or at least their initial favourite.
So far I am thinking website strategy with (say) Angular and create an account their first and then encouraging download of the app.
However, It would be interesting if I could just do the whole thing in the app, but to do so, I would need to feed a name, or code or Id into the app at start up.
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas how to do this.?

I would suggest investigating deeplinks.

Thank you… I’ll investigate this further but it looks like just what I am looking for…

Hi @rapropos, I just wanted to come back to you because the deeplinks does look like what I need, but when I ran the install command from the documentation:

ionic cordova plugin add ionic-plugin-deeplinks

I get an error so I ran it again with the --verbose option as suggested and I still get an error with more output as you’d expect. I wonder if you coould take a quick look and tell me if you can see the issue here please? I have recently updated to Ionic 4.7 with Angular 8. But I did do an ‘Ionic cordova run android’ before trying to install, just in case my cordova was broken.
Heres the verbose output:

PS C:\Users\Brett\source\repos\SalonGoGo Ionic App> ionic cordova plugin add ionic-plugin-deeplinks --verbose
  ionic:lib Terminal info: { ci: false, shell: 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe', tty: true, windows: true } +0ms
  ionic:lib CLI global options: { _: [ 'cordova', 'plugin', 'add', 'ionic-plugin-deeplinks' ], help: null, h: null, verbose: true, quiet: null, interactive: true, color: true, confirm: null, json: null, project: null, '--': [] } +7ms
  ionic:lib:project Project type from config: @ionic/angular (angular) +0ms
  ionic:lib:project Project details: { configPath: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\source\\repos\\SalonGoGo Ionic App\\ionic.config.json', errors: [], context: 'app', type: 'angular' } +1ms
  ionic Context: { binPath: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\ionic\\bin\\ionic', libPath: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\AppData\\Roaming\\npm\\node_modules\\ionic', execPath: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\source\\repos\\SalonGoGo Ionic App', version: '5.2.4' } +0ms
  ionic:lib:integrations:cordova:config Loading Cordova Config (config.xml: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\source\\repos\\SalonGoGo Ionic App\\config.xml', package.json: 'C:\\Users\\Brett\\source\\repos\\SalonGoGo Ionic App\\package.json') +0ms
  ionic:lib:telemetry Sending telemetry for command: 'ionic cordova plugin' [ 'add',
  ionic:lib:telemetry   'ionic-plugin-deeplinks',
  ionic:lib:telemetry   '--verbose',
  ionic:lib:telemetry   '--interactive',
  ionic:lib:telemetry   '--color' ] +0ms
> cordova.cmd plugin add ionic-plugin-deeplinks --verbose

You have been opted out of telemetry. To change this, run: cordova telemetry on.
No scripts found for hook "before_plugin_add".
No version specified for ionic-plugin-deeplinks, retrieving version from package.json
Calling plugman.fetch on plugin "ionic-plugin-deeplinks@^1.0.20"
saving
Running command: cmd "/s /c ""C:\Program Files\nodejs\npm.cmd" install ionic-plugin-deeplinks@"^1.0.20" --production --save""
Command finished with error code 0: cmd /s /c ""C:\Program Files\nodejs\npm.cmd" install ionic-plugin-deeplinks@"^1.0.20" --production --save"
Copying plugin "C:\Users\Brett\source\repos\SalonGoGo Ionic App\node_modules\ionic-plugin-deeplinks" => "C:\Users\Brett\source\repos\SalonGoGo Ionic App\plugins\ionic-plugin-deeplinks"
Removing C:\Users\Brett\source\repos\SalonGoGo Ionic App\plugins\ionic-plugin-deeplinks because mandatory plugin variables were missing.
Variable(s) missing (use: --variable URL_SCHEME=value --variable DEEPLINK_HOST=value).
CordovaError: Variable(s) missing (use: --variable URL_SCHEME=value --variable DEEPLINK_HOST=value).
    at Object.mergeVariables (C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\cordova-lib\src\cordova\plugin\util.js:77:15)
    at C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\cordova-lib\src\cordova\plugin\add.js:103:40
    at _fulfilled (C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:854:54)
    at C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:883:30
    at Promise.promise.promiseDispatch (C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:816:13)
    at C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:624:44
    at runSingle (C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:137:13)
    at flush (C:\Users\Brett\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\q\q.js:125:13)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:61:11)
[ERROR] An error occurred while running subprocess cordova.

cordova.cmd plugin add ionic-plugin-deeplinks --verbose exited with exit code 1.

Re-running this command with the --verbose flag may provide more information.
  ionic:utils-process onBeforeExit handler: 'process.exit' received +0ms
  ionic:utils-process onBeforeExit handler: running 1 functions +1ms
  ionic:utils-process error while killing process tree for 6680: { Error: Command failed: taskkill /pid 6680 /T /F
  ionic:utils-process ERROR: The process "6680" not found.
  ionic:utils-process 
  ionic:utils-process     at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:294:12)
  ionic:utils-process     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:182:13)
  ionic:utils-process     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:962:16)
  ionic:utils-process     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:251:5)
  ionic:utils-process   killed: false,
  ionic:utils-process   code: 128,
  ionic:utils-process   signal: null,
  ionic:utils-process   cmd: 'taskkill /pid 6680 /T /F' } +365ms
  ionic:utils-process onBeforeExit handler: error from function: { Error: Command failed: taskkill /pid 6680 /T /F
  ionic:utils-process ERROR: The process "6680" not found.
  ionic:utils-process 
  ionic:utils-process     at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:294:12)
  ionic:utils-process     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:182:13)
  ionic:utils-process     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:962:16)
  ionic:utils-process     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:251:5)
  ionic:utils-process   killed: false,
  ionic:utils-process   code: 128,
  ionic:utils-process   signal: null,
  ionic:utils-process   cmd: 'taskkill /pid 6680 /T /F' } +3ms
  ionic:utils-process processExit: exiting (exit code: 1) +2ms

Hoping for some pointers, and thank you :slight_smile:

Looks like there are some installation variables you are missing… https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic-plugin-deeplinks#installation

Thank you @christhompson05 … yes, looks like you need some additional setup, though this page doesn’t mention any of that… Installed now and building…

And if u build a pwa, there is no need for a Cordova plug-in anymore

Deeplinking will come out of the box with angular and other frameworks

That’s a good point too @Tommertom.
Any great documents on how to make an Ionic app into a PWA… ? I might just branch my code and try it out…

Search the ionic docs and look for josh Morony ‘s blogs

Google is your best friend here

You could use https://capacitor.ionicframework.com/docs/web for that. Seems like a plug and play, but I am unsure of how complicated it could get.