[SOLVED] Cordova camera to base64 in memory or file system

In my app, a user could take or upload 1 to 5 photos.

To achieve that process I use the cordova camera plugin. I also, before uploading them to my server (S3), allow the user to crop them within the help of cropperjs.

Right now I implemented everything purely based on base64 images which I save in a service till the upload to the server is done.

I read (somewhere) that it is quite a bad practice to use base64 with camera because there is a risk of reaching an out of memory exception. Is that right? Any thought on that?

And if I should rather use local files, what should I rather use when I configure the cordova camera plugin, rather NATIVE_URI or FILE_URI? Any good post or tutorial about that subject?

***** Update: So I tried NATIVE_URI and FILE_URI and seems that FILE_URI works better in my case. I also have the feeling that the quality of the pictures are better with FILE_URI

Still, after having a FILE_URI, I use cropper, which gonna give me back a base64 URI.

So my question, is it safe to keep in my service memory up to 5 images as base64 or is there an out of memory possibility? If yes, what should I do then, save the images to a tmp file on the device till I upload the photos to my server?

you dont need external library to crop image… add allowEdit:true in cameraoptions will do…and for prevent the out of memory issues i think you can use filetransfer plugin to upload image to your server

thx for your answer but doesn’t really answer my questions. I already have a library to crop my image (cropperjs, which I better like than the cordova allowEdit) and I don’t need a plugin to transfer my file (I have a S3 and the file transfer is already implemented).

My question is about the usage of the memory regarding the images and best practices. Is it safe to handle 5 images, till I upload them to my server , as base64 files in my app memory (“ram”) or should I better save them on the device (“rom”) ?

Summarized I ended up implementing following scenario:

• Access photo or take photo with the cordova camera plugin using FILE_URI
  • Using cropper in a view to let the user crop is image
  • When the user crop is image and confirm his selection, I get the result of cropper as byte array and then user the cordova plugin file to write this img locally
  • Finally, when the user is done and send his info to the servers, I read the local files, transform them as blob and send them to my S3

In this scenario I use the cache directory as local directory and I also remove the directory and all children data when the user initialize a new wizard

Using this scenario, even I’m still not sure it was needed, the memory of the app during my wizard gonna be reduced even if the images are big

Hello , can you share the code , Thanks :slight_smile:

Unfortunately no. But if you’ve got specific questions for sure I could try to help.

I have done most of the steps , Now i need to encrypt the images by using $cordovasqlite , then find a way to send it to a server through file transfer plugin

Unfortunately, I don’t use cordovasqlite or the file transfer plugin, I won’t be that much an help here :frowning: