Smooth screen transition between splashscreen and slides-tour?

So I went the ngOnInit way:

ngOnInit(): void {
    //redirect to rootPage
    this.platform.ready()
        .then(() => this.storage.get('skipTour'))
        .then((skipTour) => {
            console.log('skipTour value '+skipTour)
            let rootPage = OnboardingPage;
            if (skipTour){ 
              let rootPage = HomePage;
            }  
            return this.nav.setRoot(rootPage);
        })
        .then(() => {
            Splashscreen.hide();
            StatusBar.hide(); 
        })  
        .catch((err) => {
            console.log('error retrieving skipTour value '+err)
        })
  }

worse flickering:frowning:

The ngOnInit way makes sense since Angular advises to do ‘heavy lifting’ like calling database within this lifecycle

The flickering doesn’t come from the next component that gets loaded (i.e. Onboarding or HomePage). I tested with an empty generated HomePage component. Still flickering. The quest goes on!!

Did you see my comment about the statusbar? Try running your app without hiding the statusbar. I’ll bet you the white flash in the bottom will disappear!

I could have won some cash here ;). With StatusBar.styleDefault(); with commented out //StatusBar.hide(); -> still a white flash

Haha damn! That’s so weird. If you put up a repo on github that reproduces it I’m happy to give it a shot making it work.

@fred9 @infoproducts
Hey both, could it have to do with using the standard webview vs. crosswalk?

@infoproducts Very kind of you to check this out. It is an intriguing issue indeed. This is the first time I set up a GitHub repo. How to start? Would I create a branch “whiteflash” from my develop branch. Then make sure only the relevant files that isolate the issue are in the branch. And then git push to remote? … Thanks for any pointers here

@Snag, I have no idea what you are talking about … :smile:

You’re welcome to zip something up and share it with me in a PM, if that’s easier for you :slight_smile:

Hi @infoproducts, Hello Kim, I send you a PM with a link to the isolated whitescreen flicker. Looking forward to hear what you get from it! :sunglasses: Fred

I don’t see any flashing on my device (Sony Xperia X5)

Thanks for checking this on your device, Kim!

I build the bug isolated repo on my Wiko Sunset2. And have flickering (Recording). The Wiko is a basic device. But I also tested the full app repo on a fast HUAWEI. With flickering. Can still check tomorrow if this bug isolated repo behaves better on the HUAWEI.

What else can this cause? Maybe this has to do with my development environment? What do you run?
Fred (experiencing his first major bug :cold_sweat:)

Hi @Snag and @infoproducts,

I uploaded a beta version of the app in the Google Play store. Would you be so kind to check if any flickering happens on your device? I PM you with a link and promo code for a free download.

Thanks for helping me out with this weird bug!
Fred

@fred9 go ahead… I’ll be happy to help if I can

thanks for your offer! on fast machines the flicker seems barely noticeable, so I decided to bump the beta to production. its still on the list, but with lower priority.