I have invested some time learning a bit of Ionic and really like the framework, but I have a .net C# background and have to make the decision as to whether I should learn Xamarin instead.
I have asked a number of people for their opinions and the response has been mixed eg…
- Xamarin is now free and backed by microsoft
- Xamarin complies down to native code, and is therefore faster
- Xamarin produces a more native app (see 2 above)
- Xamarin development is slower. Every change requires a build.
- Xamarin requires a UI to be developed for each platform windows, android, ios
- Xamarin does not suffer from inconsistent browser implementions across devices… Crosswalk solves this for Ionic, but increases the size of the app
Basically, is the cross platform future going to be solved by products like Xamarin or is it going to be Html 5 Ionic. I would very much like to hear other opinions on this subject.
Any help appreciated.