`Select` only from shown tabs

I have a tabbed layout that looks like this:

<ion-tab [root]="accountPage"></ion-tab>
  <ion-tab [show]="!(isLoggedIn | async)" [root]="guestFavoritesPage"></ion-tab>
  <ion-tab [show]="(isLoggedIn | async) && (favorites | async)" [root]="favoritesPage"></ion-tab>
  <ion-tab [show]="(isLoggedIn | async) && !(favorites | async)" [root]="emptyFavoritesPage"></ion-tab>```

If this is difficult to understand, there is an "Account" tab and then effectively a single "Favorites" tab. The type of Favorites tab that gets shown is: "Guest" for logged out uses, "Empty" for logged-in users with no favorites, and "Favorites" for logged-in users that have favorites.

You can log in on the account page which sets `isLoggedIn = true`. If you do so and then navigate to the `favoritesPage`, everything works fine.

However, you can also log in on `guestFavoritesPage`. After doing so, the "favorite" tab will be deselected (i.e. no tab will be selected), and the guestFavoritesPage is still visible.

After Logging in, I try to do `this.navCtrl.parent.select(2)`, but this selects the _Favorites_ tab explicitly. For certain users, I may want to select the Empty favorites tab.  I can do a check and select the appropriate tab as needed, but I'm wondering if it's possible to know ahead of time which tabs are visible and select from the index of _visible_ tabs.

Essentially there will only ever be two tabs (in this example), I'm just doing this as a way to use a different top level page for a tab depending upon the user's state. I would like to be able to select from visible tabs because the absolute order of the tabs may change in some way if more states are needed, but there will always be the 0th visible tab, Account, and the 1st visible tab, Favorites.

I don’t think this is supported by the framework, so you are going to have to figure out the proper index based on the conditions that determine the visible “second” tab.

I think that’s probably okay … is there something bad about my pattern / is there a better pattern to use for handling top level navigation of particular tabs?

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily bad, but it sort of depends on how complicated the guest favorites page is.

My initial instinct would be to have a FavoritesPage that is capable of handling both guest and registered user situations, which would allow you to have two constant tabs.