Release day at Cordova: cordova-android 6.3.0 and cordova-ios 4.5.1

Cordova has been busy today as well:

https://cordova.apache.org/announcements/2017/09/25/ios-release.html
https://cordova.apache.org/announcements/2017/09/27/android-release.html

Thanks for posting this, Sujan. It’s convenient to just update all dependencies in 1 sitting and make sure everything works.

Guess that’s I’ll go ahead and update cordova and ionic tonight!

there is error after adding android 6.3.0

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':processDebugManifest'.
> Manifest merger failed : Attribute meta-data#android.support.VERSION@value value=(25.3.1) from [com.android.support:cardview-v7:25.3.1] AndroidManifest.xml:24:9-31
        is also present at [com.android.support:support-v4:26.0.0-alpha1] AndroidManifest.xml:27:9-38 value=(26.0.0-alpha1).
        Suggestion: add 'tools:replace="android:value"' to <meta-data> element at AndroidManifest.xml:22:5-24:34 to override.

ionic info

cli packages: (E:\PiderWeb\node_modules)

@ionic/cli-utils  : 1.12.0
    ionic (Ionic CLI) : 3.12.0

global packages:

cordova (Cordova CLI) : 7.0.1

local packages:

@ionic/app-scripts : 3.0.0
    Cordova Platforms  : android 6.3.0
    Ionic Framework    : ionic-angular 3.7.0

System:

Android SDK Tools : 25.2.5
    Node              : v7.10.0
    npm               : 4.2.0
    OS                : Windows 10

Misc:

backend : legacy

why it is showing “[14:22:23] uglifyjs started …” during build instead of “uglifyes”. When ionic team have stated

Version 3.0.0 deprecated support for Rollup, Closure Compiler, and Babili. The support for these was poor and they were not used by many developers. uglifyjs was replaced with the newer uglifyes, which supports ES2015.

That is not really a problem of Cordova but of two of its plugins clashing with each other. Search for the error message here in the forum and you should find several solutions.

Good question, but also not related to Cordova. Maybe ask this here? Ionic 3.7.0 and App-Scripts 3.0.0 are out! You could also look through the app-scripts code on Github, maybe they just forget to change the output?

I had no trouble with android 6.3.0 but I had to downgrade iOS back down to 4.4.0 because I was getting build failures with 4.5.1

Do you have an iOS build of your project too? Any issues there?

Anyone knows how to remove cordova-plugin-compat as stated in the release notes of cordovan-android `6.3.0?

When I try to remove it, cordova warn me that the job can’t be done because of decencies to other plugins:

[ERROR] An error occurred while running cordova plugin remove cordova-plugin-compat --save (exit code 1):

Error: The plugin ‘cordova-plugin-compat’ is required by (cordova-plugin-calendar, cordova-plugin-camera, cordova-plugin-file, cordova-plugin-geolocation), skipping uninstallation. (try --force if trying to update)

Should I force the remove with --force or is there another way or should I do nothing?

Good question, might want to ask at issues.cordova.io (or their Slack) as well.

Well I end up removing cordova-plugin-compat while specifying --force and the above mentioned plugins still seems to work (tested on a real device)

I poste a msg on the slack channel and in the blog entry about cordova-android 6.3.0, let see if someone confirm that

Yeah, probably just the error message and logic being broken here - the functionality of the plugin was integrated if I understood that correctly, so it is still there - just not in a separate plugin.

Mmmh --force and removing cordova-plugin-compat may not be a good idea. Just removed my iOS platform and added it again and I’m not able to build anymore, face the following error:

Error: Cannot find plugin.xml for plugin “cordova-plugin-compat”. Please try adding it again.

[ERROR] An error occurred while running cordova prepare ios (exit code 1).

Kind of weird, I thought that iOS doesn’t use compat…

P.S.: I just opened a stack overflow question too https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46551464/how-to-remove-cordova-plugin-compat

P.P.S.: If I remove and add the iOS platform, the compat plugin is automatically added as reference in package.json and package-lock.json

P.P.P.S: For the time being, removed the platform, added it again and installed compat and I’m able to build successfully (just for the record)