Reason why Ionic2 use own selects in <ion-select>?

Hello,
what are the reasons why Ionic2 use own select boxes instead of native ones? I never notice any problem with selects using in ionic. Using native it’s faster and looks more native (because many phone have different style). On iOS there is no bounce scroll in select box which makes it very unconventional if user have to scroll there…

1 Like

There are quite a few issues when using the native select control. A lot of that we learned with ionic 1. Also each browser/device handles selects in a very different way, which we would end having to work around/make work. Not alway possible, especially in a non-cordova env.

So we decided that we could make our own that takes care of all the issues that we saw with V1. As for the scroll bounce in the select, that should be an easy fix, just a simple css rule :smile:

I started using ionic 2 so I don’t know the issues on ionic 1. But it seems you guys are not planning to return to native select control? :frowning:
Sorry to say that I found the performance of <ion-select> and <ion-datetime> is really bad. Especially when there are >50 items in <ion-select> on Android, and also <ion-datetime> itself on iOS.
Wanna know if there are alternatives or ways to improve that?

I guess the best option is to open modal with ion-list.
on click ion-item close modal and pass clicked item back to your view.

ekhmoi thanks for your suggestions!

What about datetime widget? Does anyone encounter the same performance issue? Any alternative plugins?

Try the cordova-plugin-datepicker plugin for the native date/time pickers.

1 Like

By the way, even with the plugin I still use a to show the date and as a fallback in case the platform is not supported by the plugin (with ionic serve for example).