Performance of translate3d and rotate operations in standard Ionic build (vs crosswalk)

My application does a bunch of translate3d and rotate operations on UI elements. I’ve deployed Angular2 code on my local apache and accessed my application through Chrome to compare its performance with what I see when I run it as Ionic application.

Difference is visible. It all works more smoothly in Chrome. I’d say about 15-20% faster.

So I opened url for my apache-deployed app in default Android web browser and can say that animation performance is similar to what I see when I run it as Ionic app.

My understanding is that default Android browser is used under the hood by Ionic and if I want to have something more performant I need to install e.g. crosswalk plugin.

This however makes my apk file huge in size. From ~1.8MB with standard Ionic build to ~25MB with Ionic+Crosswalk build. This is a huge price for performance gain, even like the one I see (about 15% smoother).

I am doing this comparison on phone with Android 5.0.1 so as far as I know default browser should be also Chromium-based.

Can you please share you experience with similar problems? Can I tune up animations somehow? Should I access requestAnimationFrame in some specific way? Currently, I do it just as window.requestAnimationFrame.

Any suggestions appreciated