MediaQueryList event listener is only triggered once when toggling dark mode on mobile (Android)

I’m building an Angular/Ionic app and following the official guidelines for implementing Dark Mode. I’m trying to listen to the device event that’s triggered when the user toggles between dark and light mode on Android (device).

The issue I’m facing is that the event listener is only triggered once, no matter if I’m switching from dark to light or vice versa. After the first time, the body of the listener is never called again.

Here is the code I’m using:

constructor() {
    const prefersDark = window.matchMedia('(prefers-color-scheme: dark)');

prefersDark.addEventListener('change', (mediaQuery) => {
		console.log('prefersDark.addEventListener fired');
		this.toggleDarkTheme(mediaQuery.matches)
    });
}

public toggleDarkTheme(shouldAdd) {
    document.body.classList.toggle('dark', shouldAdd);
}

I’ve tried also using addListener instead of addEventListener('change', ...), but it didn’t solve the issue. I’ve also tried using the CSS media query approach, but the same problem persists.

@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
  :root {
     /* dark mode variables go here */
  }
}

I’m using angular 12.2.0, ionic/angular 6.7.0 and capacitor/android 4.7.1.

By the way, if I run the application on my Windows browser and toggle the dark mode of Windows, it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem, but I’m using a custom svelte stack using capacitor. The versions are @capacitor/core 4.8.0 and @capacitor/android 4.8.0.

I’ve tried the same and the media query and listener fired exactly once before the app is completely restarted. I’ve tried changing to the old android bridge, as suggested in this github issue about listeners not working properly bug: Capacitor listeners failing to be called from Android notifyListeners with foreground service · Issue #6234 · ionic-team/capacitor · GitHub. I have also foolishly tried to remove and add the listener every time it was called.

It’s very likely that the problem is happening on the native part of Capacitor, so later I’ll try opening the native logs to see if I’ll find something relevant.

Have you progressed any further with this issue? This is the only post that’s linked to my problem that I’ve found.