Learning curve from Ionic 3 to Ionic 4

Word on the street is that Ionic 4 is going to detach itself from Angular. How difficult would one speculate the transition would be from Ionic 3 to Ionic 4? I’ve been working with Angular for quite a while, grown to like it, so just a little bit worried about what Ionic is going to shaping into.

Also, what IS going to be the new replacement for Angular?

It’s detaching itself from Angular in the sense that you don’t have to use Angular. Angular will still be the default though, and so the transition from your existing app to Ionic 4 will be very minimal. Mostly updating some html tags here and there from what I’ve seen.

So does that mean that they’re gonna move away from the component design with Angular?

Warning: completely ungrounded speculation follows.

Based solely on my experience migrating from angular/material2 to angular-mdc/web, I would not be surprised if there were some additional ways of using some of the ***Controller things such as loading indicators and toasts that avoids some of the reuse bug opportunities that the current methods offer us.

When components are turned into such independent entities at such a low level, it seems to be more idiomatic to have <ion-toast> or <ion-loading> elements be used declaratively in templates as opposed to imperatively via ***Controllers.

Using some of those controllers declaratively in the template would be much easier and I really hope they do make that change in the new version. Hopefully, your speculation comes true

Hi

The guys from Ionic give a nice view on how they would like Ionic evolve becoming more independent from franeworks like angular

Rgdz

Tom

not sure if that’s a good idea. I’m using Ionic along other devs cause I like mobile development and Angular and I’d prefer to keep working with Angular than with Ionic tbh

The good news is that this won’t change for you in Ionic 4.
You’ll just have the option of using other frameworks. The Ionic team has stated multiple times that they quite like Angular and what to keep going forward with it.