iOS 16 initial load time much slower than iOS 15

Ionic CLI v6.20.1

Steps to recreate:

Step 1. ionic start test tabs --type=vue

Step 2. cd ./test

Step 3. ionic cap build ios --prod

Step 4. In Xcode: Product -> Run

Takes ~40 seconds to initially load when using iOS 16, but starts quickly (<1s) thereafter.

Same app takes <5s to load initially on iOS 15.

Can you elaborate more? Do mean from simulator start up? Or is this on a real device?

This is on a real device (iPhone 13 mini w/ iOS 16.0.3). I used by wife’s old iPhone 8 with iOS 15.5 to test as well because I couldn’t easily downgrade my phone back to 15.5 after the upgrade.

@mhartington Any ideas on this? Do you know if I’m the only one experiencing it?

Hey there, apologies on the delay (holidays and meetings)…

As far as I can tell, we’re not getting any other reports about iOS 16 having much slower load times.

I did a test following your steps and the only delay I could notice is when I deployed to a simulator and had to wait for that to boot up.

Deploying to a real device did not have the boot up delay. If you could prepare a sample project that has the delay, we can take a look.

I’m wondering if the issue is with my local XCode. I’m still using v13.4.1 so I had to add support for iOS 16 manually using GitHub - iGhibli/iOS-DeviceSupport: This repository holds the device support files for the iOS, and I will update it regularly..

I’ll update to XCode 14 and test and see if the issue persists.