Ionic2 very slow on Windows Phone 10

I tried 15063 (Windows 10 Creator). The performance has been improved somewhat, but still lag behind Chrome/Opera, even on a PC. IMO, it is still an issue need to be addressed, otherwise it will make the app on Windows 10 (Phone/PC) unusable.

Can confirm, little bit faster but still pretty bad on the phone…

So improvements on Windows 10 (a bit) and Windows Phone 10 (a tiny little bit) but still not really better.

Did anyone try the simpler starter templates (tabs, sidemenu etc) to see if the problem exists there, too? Maybe we can pinpoint it to some features of Ionic whose usage makes it slower…

Yes I tried the starter template. With simple form, the performance is acceptable. Thing is with moderate to complex form, especially with more input controls, things become slow.
One guy has posted this onto Microsoft issue as well, if we can up vote it, it may catch their attention too.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/11555978/

2 Likes

Today i tried the new CLI3 Beta with Ionic 3.
To compare it, i just created a new Blank App and then rebuild / ported my existing app into this new blank app, using all the new features, including lazy load etc.
Then i build the app as usual and installed it on my L950.
It is noticeable faster. I had both versions installed on my phone and you could notice the difference.
Still there is no some lag, which is not good but its better then before.
Just wanted to let you know that there is at least some improvements.

(Just a note: You don’t need CLI v3 beta to play with Ionic 3, newly created projects are Ionic 3 by default - even with ionic CLI stable / 2.2.2)

Hi - thanks for the update. Do you experience the speed pump with CLI3 & Ionic 3? How about Ionic 3 with CLI 2.2.2? I just tried to upgrade to Ionic 3 but not know how to upgrade to CLI3 beta yet. Could you pls share how you upgrade to CLI3 beta? An “ionic info” would be great!

CLI 3 (beta) has no effect on page loading times at all, it is just an internal rewrite.

1 Like

I did not upgrade my project to ionic 3. I was currious to try out the cli 3 so i updatet my CLI to the beta version
npm install -g ionic@beta
And started a new project that i then used to copy some of my code inside the templates over to the new project. So i did not migrate a existing project to ionic 3.

Ionic Info
Cordova CLI: 6.5.0
Ionic Framework Version: 3.0.1
Ionic CLI Version: 3.0.0-beta7
ios-deploy version: Not installed
ios-sim version: Not installed
Node Version: v7.5.0
Xcode version: Not installed

1 Like

I think the CLI don’t effect the performance of the app. Perhaps they fixed something with Ionic Framework 3.0.1?

OK. Something is happening! I just updated my L950 to the latest version in the fast ring.
Now i am on Microsoft EdgeHTML Version 15.15205. There is a massiv speed boost on my mobile!
Still some funky css animation issue, but that seems to be something else.
App seems now 5x+ faster.

2 Likes

Can you try opening this link on edge? Ionic Conference App
How’s the performance and stuff? I’m not on the fast ring and still haven’t update, and I opened that link on edge and it’s pretty bad.

Lumia 950XL
OS build 10.0.14393.1066
Microsoft Edge 38.14393.1066.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393

Thanks!

OK i just tested the link. As far as i remember, i have tested this link a few weeks ago and it was ultra slow.
Now it looks faster. Not as fast as it needs to be. The speakers page has still a noticeable delay, but it seems faster.
Schedule and Map is definitiv faster.
It would be interesting to see if someone could create a link like this with the conference app but ported to ionic3?
In my tests with my app it brought aswell a little speed.

As far as I can see, one of the problems is, that no one of the ionic team is developing under Windows - just Macs are used. So it’s hard for them to support/test/debug/fix the native Windows platform.
I have several issues running a native ionic app under Windows 10, even the standard conference app doesn’t work well.
In the moment I like playing with ionic but it’s away from being used cross platform out of the box when it comes to Windows (10) support. Additional problems in virtual scroll and basic keyboard handling doesn’t make life easier.

1 Like

Just upgraded my PC to the latest Windows 16179 build (equivalent to 15205 mobile), https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16179-pc-build-15205-mobile/

The performance is still similar to when I upgraded to Windows 10 Creator (15063) - meant much slower than running on Chrome.
FYI - I updated the conference app link with latest Ionic3 build - make no difference
@uno - you should upgrade to Windows 10 creator, significant performance improvement, however still lag behind using Chome

(Anecdote from the sideline: SInce updating to Windows 10 Creator update my Edge is unsably slow. Even just entering a random URL and opening it takes >10 seconds. Something very strange happened for me. Lucky that I never need it really…)

Yes. On the desktop the difference is not much noticeable. But on my mobile its much faster. Still not good enough, but before that it was a disaster … now its still bad … so i would not be able to sell a app with this performance to a client … I hope this will get better, as the web browsing experience on my L950 in general is very fast.

Gave up with MS Edge, I tried using Crosswalk, it works!!! https://crosswalk-project.org/documentation/windows.html

However this project is no longer maintained, it is opensourced though. Hope this helps!

Interesting link! Thank you.
Did you get it to work on mobile? As far as i can read on the page it says it s x64 only?
And under “Deploy to the Store” they say that it s currently not working for store apps? Do you have any experience with that?

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with Windows Phone. The app I am building is Windows 10 PC. No need for Store deployment yet.