Ionic Serve error - "This site can't be reached." (v2)

In addition, other projects that I have that start up localhost servers, work (I have an Angular 1 project that uses gulp). So it can’t be an issue about Chrome either. It’s very odd. And Ionic v1 projects created using Ionic 2 CLI also have this problem.

If I use ionic address and change the address to my external IP address, ionic serve works in all browsers. Interestingly, when it was serving on localhost, localhost:8100/ionic-lab didn’t work, but 127.0.0.1:8100/ionic-lab worked. Looks like an issue of ionic serve listening in on the wrong port. Ordinarily localhost does get binded to 127.0.0.1 though, so I’m not sure exactly what’s happening (I should probably study up on networking!)

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be caused by a recently installed parent-control-content-manager called Qustodio. Uninstalling Qustodio solved the problem.

I encountered the same problem (This site can’t be reached) with “npm i -g ionic@latest” as well as with “ionic@beta” on Windows 7, node.js 6.10.3, when trying “ionic start myApp tabs --type ionic1”. BTW, “ionic serve” works fine in an app without “… --type ionic1”.

The solution with --address was not clear, so for posterity: it fixed the problem in --type ionic1 app when I started the server with this:
“ionic serve --address 127.0.0.1”

It did not matter for --lab (it looks like the server is the same, only URL open in the broswer is different, can be changed manually at any time).

It would be still nice if the issue was fixed, so documentation would work as stated, without resorting to forums at the “getting started” stage.

1 Like