Ionic package production build

Hi. I use ionic package. I always build ios as development build for my test purpose with corresponding UDID. Now I could be able to build in production with --release tag and corresponding certificate and p12 file.

My question: What is the usage of production build?
I want to publish my app with a download link, instead of app store. Is it ok for this? Any idea?

As you are talking about p12 files, I assume you are building your app for iOS.
You won’t be able to distribute your iOS app as a download as installation of downloaded app files is not supported on iOS. You have to us the app store (or some other distribution mechanism, but these are meant for development and testing or company deployments only).

You won’t be able to distribute your iOS app as a download as installation of downloaded app files is not supported on iOS.

No, with apple enterprise account, it’s possible. But it needs 300$ for registration, and a D-U-N-S® Number. What a rough road map for developers! :disappointed_relieved:

Be careful, Apple is very specific what they allow with the Enterprise Program:

Distribute proprietary, in-house iOS apps within your organization. Securely host and deploy apps to your employees’ iOS devices.

The download link within the enterprise environment still requires the enterprise account because the apps are signed in a different way to allow specific devices to install the app via the download link.

Yes the enterprise is more expensive but it’s for a specific use case, and it’s not to have a download link for everyone.

You really just need to publish in the store or make a web-version of your app that people can use (there won’t be plugins and such but it might work for your use case)

The only other option I can think of is https://www.diawi.com but I do not know how it would work with Ionic Package.

But I have seen in somewhere that you can download the app by a link. Of course I will try to send my app to the app store, But my app has a crash in ios version and has memory issue. (see here for github issue) Because of that, maybe it will be rejected by apple.

And about diawi.com , I use this, but it requires UDID for specific apps. (development, not production)

Thanks for replies.

Apps in the enterprise stores still need to go through app review. Using the enterprise account isn’t the answer, as I stated earlier.

And I’m going to get really real here: If your app is crashing you really should fix it lol. Every app on the app store has to adhere to the same standards, yours should too.

Reading over the issue, it’s not just you affected, but it’s not really Ionic either. All related issues seem to be closed too, if you haven’t, try updating to the latest Ionic and work from there or re-work how your app works (some of the people facing that issue had a lot of rich media in the app and such)

I don’t think it’s related to the ionic update. Also I use the latest version of ionic 1. Even this occurs in ionic 2 (As I saw someone asked). [quote=“NorthMcCormick, post:7, topic:82100”]
If your app is crashing you really should fix it lol
[/quote]

I realy don’t have any idea how to fix it. I even don’t know what makes this occur. Because I’m using a lot of ionic components (tabs, infinite scroll, pull to refresh etc.)