Ionic future plans - backward compatibility

I would like to get an understanding on future plans for next ionic releases and backward compatibility. I really like the framework but right now I am in the midst of migrating the same app for the second time . Ion 1 -> Ion 3 -> Ion 5 ( I like odd numbers :slight_smile: ). I must admit the missing backward compatibility is really frustrating. I thought the switch from python 2 to 3 was tough, but given the fact that the frameworks seems to be changing significantly and relatively quick in time, I’d rather find me another SDK and migrate once. Thoughts?

Will this improve over time?

Upgrading from Ionic 4 to Ionic 5 is actually pretty easy.

From Ionic 1 to Ionic 2 (AngularJS to Angular 2) and Ionic 3 to Ionic 4 (Angular to Web Components) they did a rewrite of all the components. But now that @ionic/core uses Web Components, a rewrite should never be necessary anymore. Therefore you can expect the upgrade to be a lot easier in the future compared to what you had to do from 1 to 3 and 3 to 5.

Hope that helps.

Read more here:

1 Like

That sounds like great news. But let’s see what 6 brings. It seems that 2&3 and 4&5 are somewhat compatible. So 6 will be indicative if all promises hold true… :slight_smile: