Ionic DevApp Feedback Mega-thread

I have the same problem (deviceready not fired after 5 seconds)
This happens inside devapp only on Android device.
It works for me on only ios device.

3 Likes

Where is the local flag configured so DevApp seeā€™s the app?

Doesnā€™t find apps on Pixel 2.

So this is a great app for sure, however since getting the new Pixel 2, it doesnā€™t find any apps. It worked fine before on my Galaxy and works on my iPad as well. Maybe its something in my settings? Could you guys look into this?

First of all: Wowā€¦ the DevApp really impressed me and it will make the live as developer more smooth. Thank you Ionic team for the great work! Keep going!

Iā€™m wondering what the use of this thread will be? Does not look like a structured way to get the the points that are most requested by the community (which you really seem to follow closely, and I really appreciate that).

Iā€™m sure there will be a lot of feature reuqests, with some are more valuable than others. My main concern is, that at least the apps I write, are most dependent on native plugins, which currently are not supported in the dev app. Iā€™m wondering if the dev app will ever be a usable solution to that problem. I think I would prefer a way to really live reload my app with its native feature set on a device and I would be willing to accept cables and all such for that.

The Thread has been really helpful to us internally, so for now weā€™re going to just let it live and not mess with it :smiley:

Long term weā€™d probably kill this thread and then have a more traditional support flow. Weā€™re trying to keep support load for devapp off of our support reps that are already swamped as it is, especially given this being a new app launch. That will probably change once we get further beyond the post-launch issue fest :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would love some sort of command like

ionic devapp cordova run android

that would build me an app that uses the plugins in my project and uses an url to to another ionic serve for the content in order to do wifi livereload.

So a bit of customisation possible, and a bit of Ionic magic. And only need to rebuild once I meddle with the plugins.

Regads,

Tom

1 Like

Iā€™ve found that that built-in values such as [externalRootDirectory] are null
JC

Is there any way to get this worked in the iOS simulator? (I know: we canā€™t install apps, unless there is an .app or xcode file to load itā€¦)

Hi, this doesnā€™t seem to work too well for me (or maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding what the limitations are). However, I cannot get an app, which normally runs happily on an iOS device and simulator to get past the ā€œcordova_not_availableā€ part of

ionic serve -c

This is in both Ionic DevApp AND building to Ionic View. Any ideas?

Hi, I also have the same problem. Getting the error that the plugin is not installed when calling the contacts find method. Iphone 6 with ios 10.1.1. Have you found any way to get it to work? Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for the great app for developers. I would like to know, whether the Inappbrowser functionality is working?.

Interesting, so more or less a ionic cordova run --livereload that uses an app from ionic serve instead of what was built into itā€¦ That would mean it would have to include code to ā€œreceiveā€ the running ionic serve instances instead of the real www.

Hmm, that should be doable with a little local scripting. Only thing missing is the code of the DevApp that displays the instances (and all workarounds so it can ā€œjustā€ display these then - but I am not sure if there are any).

Want to create a new topic for this ā€œLocal DevApp: Mix ionic cordova run --livereload with ideas from the Ionic DevAppā€ thing you just invented? I think we should talk about it some more @Tommertom.

Edit: I remembered that someone created a project on Github with a ā€œbuild your own DevApp with your own pluginsā€. I am pretty sure one could reuse that codeā€¦

Edit 2: Local DevApp: Mix `ionic cordova run --livereload` with ideas from the Ionic DevApp :wink:

2 Likes

Thx for the reply and yes, it will be interesting to venture a bit. I see three things here:

The product roadmap for the Ionic DevApp - how this fits the needs of the dev community. If I were the product manager, I would have the DevApp run the same plugins as Ionic View and add a feature to manually add ionic serve instances (as corporate networks tend to block udp discovery which I presume is used to discover). And I would launch boilerplate code on GitHub with necessary plugins which developers can use to generate own devapps with custom plugin configuration. This way, indy and more corporate developers are supported and flexibility added for people with additional support needs, including monitoring console.logs etc.

The community figuring out its own devapp - and indeed that is what I tried earlier (and posted in the forum). And it seemed to work on the vibration plugin. But not with another simple plugin (Device), due to absence of cordova.js etc. Seems that a navigation redirect kills the cordova connection. So I would love to hear suggestions on how to fix this. I tried InAppBrowser injection and possibly look into other featuresā€¦ Suggestion in the other thread please!

Ionic releasing a CLI version as expressed - making all the above actually quite obsolete. That would really a blast to have, especially if Ionic team next to it does provide the DevApp in the appstore for the indy developers who donā€™t need all that flexibility (or even use it for other purposes).

Anywayā€¦ some of my thoughts, also going through the messages in this mega thread.

Regards

Tom

2 Likes

I have the same issue at the moment. I canā€™t seem to find a fix for this. Did you find a solution to the problem?

I havenā€™t tried since, Iā€™m almost 100% sure it has to do with the use of some cordova plugins that arenā€™t included in the app, and in my case Iā€™m using at least one plugin that isnā€™t wrapped in ionic native. With that in mind I think itā€™s impossible for it to work in my case.

I note that a number of developers have asked about the plugins included in the DevApp.

The Ionic team has been kind enough to include the link to the plugins for the Ionic View App which are replicated in the DevApp.

Personally, I would often forget to check this list as I added cordova plugins during development and then end up with an app that would not boot in the DevApp, or would throw an error when a function dependent on cordova plugin(s) not included was called.

To resolve this, I created a pull request on the ionic-cli package that will add a warning whenever an unsupported cordova plugin(s) is found in your package.json when ionic serve is run.

4 Likes

Awesome work @jwelmac - makes total sense to do it there!

Iā€™ve tried Ionic DevApp a couple of times with different wifi sources. Iā€™ve never been successful at connecting an app to DevApp. I am running the latest version, using the same wifi sources, running ionic serve -c. It cannot detect any app running on the network. I was really excited for this but neither me nor my coworker can use it. :disappointed:

@GC46001 Can you manually open the external IP that ionic serve shows in your smartphoneā€™s browser?

Along with what @Sujan12 said, are you on a corporate network?

1 Like