Ionic 3/4 not compilable on Android Studio 3.2.1

I have used ionic 1 and 2 and had no trouble with compiling for iOS on XCode and Android on Android Studio on macOS. I have every package available from the Google repositories installed on my Android/sdk and I cannot get either ionic 3 or ionic 4 apps compiled on Android Studio 3.2.1 and I’m getting quite frustrated as I have been working on this for about a week. I have zero problems with either 3 or 4 and XCode. I have hacked at the files to try to get a working gradle wrapper. Now I’m getting mips library message and nothing I do fixes the issue. I have overwritten the build.gradle file with one that works fine on native Android apps. I know my Android environment works. When opening an ionic android platform it also messes with my Android Studio Tools menu and the AVD Manager and SDK Manager options go away. I’m sure I can make it work with some file removal and fixing things myself. I have a lot of web sites in Angular 4 with Bootstrap 3.3.7 and I would really like to be able to use ionic, but right now, it looks like I may have to go back to Xamarin Forms apps that work fine with VS 2017 for Mac.

Even my wife likes the ionic sidemenu apps better than my Xamarin work, and so do I.

But if ionic apps won’t work on Android natively, and not using Ionic DevApp, I will have to abandon ionic … probably for good.

Why do you even need to open Studio? Besides setting up the AVD, I handle all my Android development from the Ionic and Cordova CLIs (including build and signing). I know that does not directly answer your question.

When I try to build and run a fresh project for Android, I get errors including no gradle wrapper. If you can tell me what I’m doing wrong, that would really help. I found a page on the ionic site about upgrading Cordova and one page said that not having the latest external tools could be a problem. I have Gradle 4.6 working fine for my native apps. I have some moderately successful apps on Google Play and I’m trying to get a new app going as a companion to a new web site. For people used to deploying from the IDE’s not being able to do this is not good. Can you point me to some ionic based apps on Google Play and iTunes Appstore so I can see what others have done?

For clarity, I am extremely happy with what I was able to do with ionic 3 and it looks really good on iPhone and iPad. I just desperately need APK files.

The companion starter web site is at http://MakeSomeMusicTV.com if you want a taste of what the app is for. If you want to see my native Android apps just search for “Don Stegall” on Google Play. I’m updating those apps for Material and they need a refresh because of their target SDK version.

Any help is appreciated. My email is Don.F.Stegall@gmail.com

1 Like

Hello,

my english is quit bad, so maybe I understood you wrong.
You want compile your app into an apk?
Maybe you are looking for that https://ionicframework.com/docs/intro/deploying/

Best regards, anna-liebt

I got my ionic 3 app compiled in Android Studio 3.2.1. It took a lot of hocus pocus.

Be very careful about upgrading Android Studio to 3.2.1 and updating the SDK with the current release.

The $ANDROID_HOME/tools/templates directory on my Mac running Mojave got bonked. I’m not exactly sure when this happened. I’m going into Time Machine later to find out.

I had to add the mips folders from android-ndk-r17c in the ndk-bundle back to my Android SDK ndk-bundle toolchains directory.

I had to comment out compile “com.android.support:support-annotations:$ANDROID_SUPPORT_ANNOTATIONS_VERSION” in the dependencies of the app build.gradle

I had to comment out the import android.support.annotation.RequiresApi and the RequiresApi(Build.VERSION_CODES.LOLLIPOP) in public class IonicWebViewEngine extends SystemWebViewEngine

I may need to bring this stuff back in, because it is new to me. Looks like it came in on Android >= 21 and I have not produced a published Android app since Android 18.

I’m not a novice. I created a Cordova app framework using Angular 4, TypeScript, and Bootstrap 3.3.7 a year or two ago. I don’t want to try to maintain that though because I have apps I need to get done.

I really like Angular and TypeScript since I use that plus Bootstrap for my web sites and sharing even some code between web sites and apps using ionic is attractive. NativeScript seems to have lost steam. I’m doing some React and React Native. I’m not ready to use React for “Production” sites or apps.

Now that I know I can create working APK files, I will probably see about going to ionic 4.