Ion-side-menu in abstract state, omitted from initial login screen

Hi,

I have an app where all screens should show an ion-side-menus layout except an initial login screen. My left-aligned ion-side-menu is set to always show via expose-aside-when.

I believe the two main options to manage the side menu in this situation are:

1. Have the side menu exist in each individual template except login.html, by way of a directive
  2. Have the side menu exist in each individual template except login.html, by way of an abstract state, e.g. withsidemenu.home, withsidemenu.myaccount (I prefer this to #1)
  3. Disable the side menu by setting a boolean value for some ‘enabled’ attribute on the side menu at some level of the HTML - but I can’t find any info on this.

Are these options accurate? Is there a better option, or can someone with more knowledge than me recommend one of the above?

I tried option 2, an abstract state with a templateUrl containing my ion-side-menus HTML, but this doesn’t seem to work. The side menu doesn’t show up, and the nav-view within my ion-side-menu-content doesn’t get populated with my app’s main templates, like it does when it’s included in the page.

Thanks for any help.