Image from canvas - inconsistent by device

While probably not an ionic specific question, this is behaving differently on different devices. On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 - it works perfect, but on the tablet Samsung tablet it doesn’t).

Here’s the situation.
I have a canvas, I export the canvas to dataURL and save it to the photo library

this.photoLibrary.saveImage(this.canvasElement.toDataURL(), 'TestApp').then(
  res => { console.log(res); },
  err => { console.log(err); }
);

On the phone, this saves the exact image you see on the canvas. On the tablet it saves an inverted image that’s about 60% of the height and width of the visible canvas. The image is stretched to the full resolution of the canvas though. It’s as if it flips it vertically, then crops it to 60% of the size, then stretches it back to 100%.
This also happens if I write the image back onto the canvas.

let img = new Image();
img.onload = () => {
    let context = this.canvas.getContext('2d');

// sort out size ratios
    let wratio = canvas.width / image.width;
    let hratio = canvas.height / image.height;

let ratio = Math.min(wratio, hratio);
    let width = image.width * ratio;
    let height = image.height * ratio;

// center it if it's not a 100% size match
    let offsetW = Math.round((canvas.width - width) / 2);
    let offsetH = Math.round((canvas.height - height) / 2);

context.drawImage(image, offsetW, offsetH, width, height);
};
img.src = this.canvasElement.getDataURL();

On the phone it writes the full image in the correct orientation/size. Same with chrome. On the tablet it does the inverted-cropped-stretched thing. I’ve logged out some of those variables and the size ratios are 1, the image width/height matches the canvas before it’s written. I’ve also tried using blobs and object urls with the same behavior.

Any ideas on how to debug this?

One red flag here for me is “Samsung” - back when I did HTML5/Cordova games these were always a world of pain and workarounds. Does this also happen on other, non-Samsung tablets?

unfortunately I don’t have any non-Samsung devices to test with.

If you happen to have something to test on, and don’t mind doing so, I published it before I found this issue: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.mattbeckett.edidoodle

I’m very curious to know now…
In the meantime, any ideas on hacks/workarounds I could try?
I made this app specifically for my son, and that’s the tablet he has :frowning:

I dug up an older Samsung - an S4 - it works perfectly on that too. Apparently I have a history of only Samsung though and no other tablets. I haven’t tested/published for ios yet, I can test that (and the ios emulator always works better for me than android emulators which don’t seem to register the touch events on the canvas).

Update to this: Tested on iPhone 5 - works fine, tested on 6S simulator and iPad Pro simulator - all works fine. So I’m thinking it might be specific to the Samsung tablet, just not sure what if anything I can do about that though…